6Th Gen Taillight Connector Trouble

digitallyhip

• Member Contributer

Vb2yOpP.jpg

As you can see, I've got a problem with the green w/yellow stripe wire as it enters the brake light connector (and yes: I know about the bare spot on the green wire and will be fixing that). Can anyone please tell me what the crimp-on connector is that I'll need to buy for the repair?

advTHANKSance.

• Member Contributer

Eastern Beaver sells the connectors, so probably can get the terminals as well. Oh, yes, he does. But he's got a $20 minimum order, unfortunately, so your best bet would probably be to carefully extract the terminal from the housing, un-crimp the wires and re-use it. Or buy a VFR800 wiring harness on eBay, but that would be overkill!

Ciao,

If you are careful, you should be able push a thin piece of metal down one side of the pin in the connector to release it, if you can get it out, then solder on a new lead and use a butt splice to the old wires.

• Member Contributer

Thank you everyone. A fix is in place!

But: now I have another issue. The brake lights come on properly when the rear brake is applied. But the front brake activates the lights on the initial pull of the lever, but if more pressure is applied, the lights go out! I can hear the switch click when the lever moves, but it does not click again until the lever is released. Any clues?

• Member Contributer

Replace the switch! It's a fairly common microswitch. You might be able to clean it with contact cleaner? Also check the wires going to the switch for signs of breakage or wear, but it sounds more like a bad switch to me.

Ciao,

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Completing the story: the new switch fit and works perfectly!

Now on to Tofino on the bikes for our 25th Anniversary:

long-beach-lodge-resort-19.jpg

Archived