Rolling The Chain Rivets ?

LosLobos

D.I.D. 530, Motion Pro chain tool ... Sprocket Center

Question is - How much and how close to service manual spec on rivet diameter do u really need to be ...

Spec low is 0.219 in. High is 0.230 in.

I'm at 0.215 and it will take a lot of force on the chain tool to go further - Motion Pro instruction sheet says go lightly, but there's nothing light past this point.

I'd hate to mess this up and wait for another master link.

Advice needed.

Give it another twist. It is hard to get the steel of the pin moving, but once it gives, it will turn more easily.

The most important thing is to make sure you remain squared up with the tool against the chain when you peen the rivet. If the tool is at an angle to the chain, your peen will shift off center and likely crack the rivet.

• Member Contributer

Master link rivet is rolled NOT peened, all factory links are peened. Ensure you have the correct roll pin on the vice tool & NOT the link removal pin !

many people have complained that the tools they bought are useless, when they broke them on the factory links & didn't realise that only one link plate is the master link that the tools are designed to work with. To aid inspection & location I paint the master link black, so a quick spin of the wheel & its easy to find !

YMMV

Master link rivet is rolled NOT peened, all factory links are peened. Ensure you have the correct roll pin on the vice tool & NOT the link removal pin !

many people have complained that the tools they bought are useless, when they broke them on the factory links & didn't realise that only one link plate is the master link that the tools are designed to work with. To aid inspection & location I paint the master link black, so a quick spin of the wheel & its easy to find !

YMMV

Correction noted - and good idea re. the blak paint.

Is the factory master link marked ? I just picked random, angle grinder rivet head, pushed out with chain tool pin.

Give it another twist. It is hard to get the steel of the pin moving, but once it gives, it will turn more easily.

The most important thing is to make sure you remain squared up with the tool against the chain when you peen the rivet. If the tool is at an angle to the chain, your peen will shift off center and likely crack the rivet.

Done - took it to 0.224; I think that should hold.

Factory master link will be the one with the two peened rivets. All other rivets are staked on a normal chain.

When breaking a chain it doesn't matter which one you push if you grind the heads, but it certainly matters if you don't grind first.

Archived