Has Anyone Used One Of These Ebay Seat Cowls?

Shooter

I'm thinking of ordering one of these to put on my '01 VFR. I want to cut out sections for the grab rails, and put quick disconnects on to make it easy to take on and off. Has anyone installed these on their bike? I'm interested in fit and quality. Since I plan on cutting, it only needs to be but so good. I have the OEM one and do not want to cut that, but for $40, I figured it may not be a bad option as long as the holes and tabs line up properly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Seat-Cover-Cowl-for-Honda-VFR-800-RR-VFR800-98-01-6033-/371302840465?var=&hash=item56735fb891&vxp=mtr

• Member Contributer

I bought a red one, wrong shade of red and fit was poor.

All the tabs are glued on.

Also paint finnish is very bumpy, I never used it.

A month later I picked up a new used original from Fleabay for $20.

Someyimes you get lucky.

Thanks VFROZ, I was worried about that. So you don't think its even good enough to cut out for the grab rail handles? Most of the ebay OEM ones are about $100. I hate to cut up some decent piece of bodywork...

• Member Contributer

Patience on this one sounds like it will pay off. I bought a red OEM one for about $35 off ebay also and I almost picked up a second for less than that this winter to cut up for turn signal blockoff plates. They come up often enough but parts prices seem to go up in the spring when everyone is trying to get back on the road.

• Member Contributer

Thanks VFROZ, I was worried about that. So you don't think its even good enough to cut out for the grab rail handles? Most of the ebay OEM ones are about $100. I hate to cut up some decent piece of bodywork...

It would be fine to do a test run, I did the cut out on the original one I bought, and it turned out good, but would have been better if I tried it on the crap one first.

The Chinese one also had the wrong size bolt holes, and because the tabs were slightly out of position, the bigger holes I drilled out were out of centre and very close to one edge.

I've still got the crap one, you can have it for postage costs if you want. Not sure how much that will be to the States.

VFROZ, I'll do a check on shipping to the states and get back to you...It may cost more to ship then the thing is worth, but we'll see.

DFerrell, No lugage racks. I use soft bags for lengthy trips.

I'm using a Chinese tail fairing now. It's mostly crap. The holes didn't line up, so had to drill to expand. It's cracked in the rear center, and the paint is cracked/stretched along the rear top. It just doesn't fit right. But the rest of the bike isn't going to win any shows either, so I'm just riding, occasionally checking CL or ebay or classifieds here. OEM is the way to go..

Archived