Satnav Mounting

JustinR55

Has anyone fitted a satvav to an eigth generation yet? I'm looking to purchase a Garmin and ideally mount it centrally on the yoke. Does anyone know a way of mounting a satnav to the yoke? Can you use a Ram Ball on the yoke centre nut?

Also the Honda 12 volt accessory kit states that it's mounted under the seat on the Honda webpage. Does anyone know if there's sufficient cable length for the socket to reach by the bars and if the socket itself is waterproof to be out in the open?

Hi

I fitted a tom tom rider V5 to my bike using a ultimate addons 17.5 to 20 mm mount attachment (don't know if there is any mounting difference or ball size for the Garmin). Fits great, I have the socket under the seat and just ran the wire for the GPS attachment to the socket, tidy job, and all the wire is hidden.

Hi

I bought a RAM-mount for pipes, got rid of the u-bolt and put it to the bike using the two bolts that keeps the tank in place at the front. Longer bolts are needed though. They are standard metric.

The RAM-mount for pipes:

http://www.clasohlson.com/se/Bygelmontering-f%C3%B6r-r%C3%B6r-Ram/38-5995

Ram's article no. is RAM-B-213ZU

When mounted, it looks like this:

If you also buy a longer arm, you can use it if you have a tank-bag mounted or so...

It was no problems to get the power cable from the mounting bracket back to the power outlet under the rear seat. I tuck the cable in along/behind the side frame of the bike.

Edit: I'm referreing to the Zümo-cradle's power cable. When no GPS is mounted there is a small rubber cover to protect the power connector on the cradle.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I am in the process of fitting a TomTom Rider to my 8th Gen' VFR and not too sure what i should be wiring the positive to? I guess i can wire the neg to the battery earth terminal, but what about the positive?

Unit came with the standard lead for use with the TomTom

post-31950-0-55971900-1429885879.jpg

On my original tomtom i just had it wired direct to the battery through a fuse, only trouble with that is that it is live all the time, but on my vfr i have the accessory socket under the seat so i just fitted a plug and it switches off with the ignition. So maybe trace the wiring for the socket and connect it there!!.

Is it worth getting the Honda power socket first, and then plugging the Sat Nav into that ?

Or is it just as well to wire the Sat Nav to the battery and a suitable fuse box outlet (like the lights) ?

(Very happy, have taken so long to get round to putting a Sat Nav on the bike that Tom Tom have released a new line of Navs in the meantime !

one should be here any day !! :biggrin: )

• 2 weeks later...

Tomtom Rider 40 mounted using a "Telferizer" found at: telferizer dot com

• Made cup of tea
  • Pulled the plug out of the centre stem, using Swiss Army knife bottle opener attachment
  • Inserted telferizer, and twist, this causes the rubber bung to expand and grip inside the headtube
  • Mounted Satnav using supplied Ram mount, on the telferizer ball joint.
  • Fed wires through side of fuel tank and black trim panel
  • Removed seat sections
  • Removed battery cover tray
  • Cut supplied SatNav wires as appropriate
  • Appropriate negative wire to negative battery terminal
  • Appropriate positive wire to suitable fuse in fuse box ( I chose headlight fuse) so removed fuse, stuck wire in as appropriate, and put fuse back in.
  • Tidied spare wire as appropriate, and put everything back together.
  • Tested that it powers on and off with the ignition key, which it does,

It does seem a bit low, and have not had to use it yet to find my way around.

Telferizer_zpsgilymh0l.jpg

Tomtom%20fited_zpsbs1yhqjk.jpg

• Member Contributer

Aye, it is the cup of tea that makes work so much more enjoyable!

If too low (when using a tankbag) one could always get a longer RAM clamp or even one of these for height and more adjustability

rama230.jpg

post-8974-0-08370400-1431261509.jpg

• Member Contributer

If too low (when using a tankbag) one could always get a longer RAM clamp or even one of these for height and more adjustability

rama230.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG1641.jpg

Creative Dutchy, how is that stem mount holding up. Been on there for quite a while.

rama230.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG1641.jpg

That looks better - a bit higher than mine.

Is that a Zumo 220 ? That is what I had before this new one - did the biz !

• Member Contributer

It is a Nuvi510, bricked to become a 220....

:-)

• Member Contributer

Did the same as Timm when I installed the zumo 590.

Have also added a scottoiler, an additional accessory fuse box which provides power switched and unswitched for accessories.

Archived