Best Replacement Battery?

Rider14

+1 for the OEM Yuasa. My original was in service from 6/2011 until 5/2014. It gave me some concern over the winter when it went totally flat after sitting for a month in the cold. I revived it and it seemed to be doing well enough recently but I'd already bought a replacement to install so I figured I should go ahead and swap it out.

You really need to check it with a load tester to know for sure the batt is still good. IMHO, a lot of weak or questionable batts stay on cars and bikes, only to cause problems for the charging system. A buddy of mine just changed out his R/R and stator coil on his XX, and the whole thing started when his bike died of a completely dead batt. Had he swapped out the batt as soon as it was no longer able to to hold a good charge and to output rated CCA, he might not have had as big a problem as he ended up with.

Guest richy170

What are the Shorai battery product codes for the batteries that will fit the VFR people have ordered.

• Member Contributer

Understood, but I thought it might help decide on a brand or type. :rolleyes:

And all fit the 1200 and the 800 .

Batteries are standard parts, so unless there's something very unusual about the 1200's electrical system, all of the discussion about VFR batteries should be relevant. It's not like it's a BMW, after all..

Ciao,

What are the Shorai battery product codes for the batteries that will fit the VFR people have ordered.

Mine is LFX18A1-BS12.

BTW, I find it funny how some folks don't like center stand because it "adds weight". And some dismiss the weight saving with LiFe battery as being insignificant. Since I have both, I figure the net gain/loss is trivial. Maybe a bit in favor of weight loss, considering the location of these two items relative to each other.

• 2 weeks later...

Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 on mine also. Volfy I would bet 99.99 % of the VFR riders here could not feel the weight difference a center stand adds to the VFR 12 and the one guy who claims he could is making it up. These are not sport bikes they are heavy with or without the center stand or the Shorai battery. That being said the LiFe replacement battery subtracts more weight than the center stand adds.

I have good service from my Moto Batt. Inexpensive but going strong. 2.5 years on, through a stator roast, yellow 3 wire baking and loose connection(-). Swapped it into the new bike, cranking better than ever.

• 1 month later...

Do you really need a voltage regulator for the 1200? I have seen people mentioning it before, the min and max voltages for the shorai have me worried that if the stock rectifier goes too high the battery might overheat, and LiFe batteries can literally explode when overheated. I'm on stock battery and almost 16k mi in to it but on cold days I get the ABS light blink low amperage. The funny thing is that the stock battery never died on me whilst my wife's 2012 CRV had some error in battery computer and would die every now and than, I had to jump start it a few times from the 1200.

• 3 weeks later...

Well since no one said anything I assume a voltage regulator is not necessary and I will get the Shorai over the weekend. I keep getting the annoying ABS light blink, which according to the shop was due to low battery amperage, maybe a new battery will fix it.

Archived