1999 Vfr Caliper Compatability

Crazy88

Hey All,

I'm just about getting ready to get started with fixing up my 1999 VFR (really impressed with my instrument panel fix... Thank for that!) and wanted to start with my sticking front caliper/s, I've got them off the bike and at least 2 of the pistons are shot in the right, haven't got to the left but with a strict budget in mind I'm wondering whether it might be more economical to pick up some low-mileage second hand ones.

I want to buy as new as possible and wondered whether anyone knows how new I can go?

Thanks in advance!

• Member Contributer

Hey All,

I'm just about getting ready to get started with fixing up my 1999 VFR (really impressed with my instrument panel fix... Thank for that!) and wanted to start with my sticking front caliper/s, I've got them off the bike and at least 2 of the pistons are shot in the right, haven't got to the left but with a strict budget in mind I'm wondering whether it might be more economical to pick up some low-mileage second hand ones.

I want to buy as new as possible and wondered whether anyone knows how new I can go?

Thanks in advance!

Check out the classified section of the site. Member here is selling off some parts from his 5th gen project. Check it out.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/classifieds/item/3390-5th-gen-project-take-off-parts/

• Member Contributer

^^^ That's a great idea. If you're going to retain the linked brakes, I believe you're going to have to stay with 5th gen calipers (1998-2001). Your only other hope would be 6th gen calipers - however they are different part numbers and IIRC the 6th gen linked brake setup is (similar, but) different than the 5th gen's. Unless your caliper bores and pistons are rusted, they should be able to be renewed. It's just likely degraded brake fluid that's gummed them up and keeping them from working smoothly. If you're not comfortable rebuilding a caliper, a reputable shop should be able to do that for you for a reasonable fee.

Thanks for your quick replies! Some really good info, im afraid I'm in the UK so probably not economical in postage (shame, I'd have probably had a few of those bits...) the calipers I have could be rebuilt; they've got pitting on the pistons but it's fairly close to the pads so I really don't know what would be best... If I do replace them I'm looking at quite a bit more than a set of used calipers.

I've seen some 6th gen calipers on eBay and they looked similar, thanks for clearing that up

• Member Contributer

Having done brake maintenance on both bikes (01&09), I can say that they are different enough that doing a one for one swap may not be as easy as it would appear. The rear caliper might be more so than the fronts but IMO, it would be easier to just rebuild the ones you have. As of a year and a half ago, the parts for the 5 Gen were available, although it took quite a long time for the pistons to come in!

Thanks all, I'm going to get the other calipers off (the rear isn't amazing either!) see if the Pistons in those are as rusty, add up the cost of replacing the offending parts and see whether it's more viable to pick up some decent 5th gen calipers... Will probably check back in when I try to bleed a linked system for the first time...

Cheers!

Take a look at the UK-based Bikers Oracle.

A member there is breaking a 5th gen. 800Fi:- http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/forum/showthread.php?t=128032

Another has a "Complete brake circuit (front)":- http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/forum/showthread.php?t=128230

Archived