Post '05 Turn Signal Switch On A Pre '06 Model

2FAST4U

• Member Contributer

Hey guys. Some of you may not know that certain 6th gen.'s came with a flashing hazard light feature while some didn't. Based on the research I've done on Ron Ayers (regarding the turn signal switch), Honda used part number 35020-MCW-A00 on '02-'05's and part number 35200-MCW-K01 beginning in '06 (commonly referred to as the 6.5 gen.). Can somebody confirm '06 is when the flashing hazard light feature was added?

Where I'm going with this is I need to replace the turn signal switch on my '02 and am thinking about replacing it with one from an '06-'09 model. Is this possible? If so, is it a simple swap?

Thanks.

I thought the hazard light switch replaced the headlight switch (not the turn switch) because laws came in at that time meaning the headlights had to be on all the time. The hazard switch filled this gap. Indicator switch obviously being on the opposite side than the headlight/hazard switch?

Im in the UK so maybe its different but i wouldnt of thought so.

• Member Contributer

I thought the hazard light switch replaced the headlight switch (not the turn switch) because laws came in at that time meaning the headlights had to be on all the time. The hazard switch filled this gap. Indicator switch obviously being on the opposite side than the headlight/hazard switch?

Im in the UK so maybe its different but i wouldnt of thought so.

Correct, but only applicable to the UK AFAIK. Indicator controller on LH switch, Hazard controller on RH switch in place of previous lights On/Off switch.

The US versions may have different switchgear.

• Member Contributer

Can somebody confirm '06 is when the flashing hazard light feature was added?

Where I'm going with this is I need to replace the turn signal switch on my '02 and am thinking about replacing it with one from an '06-'09 model. Is this possible? If so, is it a simple swap?

My '04 has the flashing hazard light feature. The guys above have it right, the US models work the same as theirs.

• Member Contributer

For some reason I thought the newer models had the hazard switch on the left.

With a different part number beginning in '06, I'm inclined to think the connectors may be different (Honda changed a number of connectors on the 6.5 gen.). I'll just get the one for the '02-'05.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

I believe you. I've only seen that hazard switch once in my life and that was a few years ago (had I not seen the guy use his hazards once, I never would have even known about it.) In any event, I obviously forgot what side it was on.

I've already ordered the part and the guy at the parts counter said he'll have it Thursday (just in time for the weekend). I probably irked a lot of people last weekend when they thought I was too inconsiderate to use turn signals; my switch had been sticking at times but last weekend it went out completely.

• Member Contributer

I think I had mine for a couple of years before I realized it had hazard lights. Wish Honda had made them so you could turn them on without the key. If I get stranded on the side of the road and have to walk away from the bike, I have a choice of leaving the key in it, or leaving it in the dark with no lights on.

I think I had mine for a couple of years before I realized it had hazard lights. Wish Honda had made them so you could turn them on without the key. If I get stranded on the side of the road and have to walk away from the bike, I have a choice of leaving the key in it, or leaving it in the dark with no lights on.

But run the risk of somebody pressing it whilst youve left it parked, and flattening the battery for you? I suppose?

I believe you. I've only seen that hazard switch once in my life and that was a few years ago (had I not seen the guy use his hazards once, I never would have even known about it.) In any event, I obviously forgot what side it was on.

I've already ordered the part and the guy at the parts counter said he'll have it Thursday (just in time for the weekend). I probably irked a lot of people last weekend when they thought I was too inconsiderate to use turn signals; my switch had been sticking at times but last weekend it went out completely.

Hmm.

My relay keeps coming unclipped and leaving me with no working indicators until i lift the screen and plug it back in

Does my head in

• Member Contributer

But run the risk of somebody pressing it whilst youve left it parked, and flattening the battery for you?

There is a key position that allows you to turn on the hazards by themselves. You just can't remove the key. I would think Honda could have set it up so that you need the key to switch them on, but you could then remove the key.

• Member Contributer

2fast4u - can you please post some detail on the install and how it works once you get the part? If its really that simple, I'd absolutely add this to my 02 as well.

Archived