Burping The Coolant After A Flush/fill

HoganLongfellow

• Member Contributer

Whats up fellas - sorry for the newb question (two actually) I've been searching and found some info but I still need to ask.

I'm moderately mechanical (I do my own basic maintenance: oil & fluids, check valves, carb sync, nothing major) and today was the first time I've ever done a coolant flush n fill. haha I come from the world of air-cooled bikes, so this is kinda new to me.

1) Are there any specific symptoms after a FnF that will tell me air is in the system? The tutorial i watched said to overfill the reservoir by 1" and that would take care of any air bubbles, but I'm more concerned with an air lock. My old bike used to need to be burped every time I changed the oil - I'm curious if this may need the same thing.

2) what is the easiest way to burp it? I've read starting the bike and let it reach operating temp w/ the rad. cap loose, I've read to squeeze the hoses, I just don't want to do the wrong thing or damage the motor.

Thanks in advance everyone I really appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

Hogan, there is definitely information on this site. Basically, the bike needs to be on the sidestand. Rad cap off and then quickly revved to "burp" the system. The rad should be full before you do this. Once you follow this procedure, the level should drop noticeably. That's the indication the air has been cleared from the coolant system. There are awesome wrenches on this site who can share to much greater detail. :smile:

• Member Contributer

It's also in the Honda Service manual. The link for the older VFRs might be broken but grabbing a later model manual should work just fine, the principle is the same.

• Member Contributer

found this, this is easy enough even i prob wont screw it up lol

Bleed air from the system as follows:
1. Shift the transmission into neutral. Start the engine and let it idle for 2- 3 minutes.
2. Snap the throttle 3- 4 times to bleed air from the system.
3. Stop the engine and add coolant up to the proper level if necessary. Reinstall the radiator cap.
4. Check the level of coolant in the reserve tank and fill to the upper level if it is low.

• Member Contributer

Get an able-bodied friend to help out.

Leave the rad cap off and fill up.

Put sidestand up then both of you lean the bike over to the left as far as you can. You'll often get some air rising out of an air pocket.

Then do the burp as detailed above.

Repeat both until no more air comes up.

Archived