Led Running Lights?

RogueWave

I've read that animated led's are a good safety feature. So I would like to put some on my vfr 1200 in the Spring. The Night Rider look is pretty cool with the red or blue moving back and forth. I am not sure what is legal, I am in Illinois. Flickering? Strobes? left-right movement? Ground effects?

Do any of you have these types of lighting on your bike?

If you look at an Audi A6, it has some impressive running lights. They catch your attention even though they don't animate. They are very bright.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I found some 1.5" LED driving lights on ebay and have a bunch of other stuff to play around with (yes I am a light nerd) but havent decided quite what I am going to do with my 6th gen yet.

But it will probably consist of pulling the lamps apart and doing full HID projector retrofit, halo rings, some small bright "city lights" for the bottom inner portion of the housing, and paint the housings.

I have the Gixxer mirrors and planning LED in them. Cant decide between switchback LED (white on running, flashing amber when signal), or go regular and supplement with some focused lens LEDs and a flasher module for visibility.

Lastly, my factory signal location I have plans for some accent lights.

If you PM me your email address I can send links to some of the products I am playing with, I dont want to spam up the site with eBay links and whatnot.

• Member Contributer

I can tell you that in NY any flashing, strobing or chasing lights are illegal. I had the Night Rider lights on my Cavalier Type 10 (1984) and was pulled over. The cop was nice enough to just talk down to me, but not give me a ticket. Blue lights are illegal, even as "fog lights", but most cops will pull you over for it only if they are in a bad mood. Red flashing lights will get you pinched. Only the amber spinning or flashing lights are allowed on commercial vehicles. Granted that's here in NY, but I would bet it's pretty close to the same in most states. I do believe the headlight modulators are allowed in most states though.

• Member Contributer

Check out the Rigid Industries SRM series. I mounted mine on my front forks where the ugly stock reflector once was. You can also pop on an amber cover if you want them to be more effective in fog. They aren't cheap, but they are damn near indestructible and have top notch wiring and switches.

• Member Contributer

In NL having any but especiially blue colored leds (flickering or not) will have to cops pull you over. blue exclusively for the emergency services (police/ambulance/firefighters).

White LEDs are not allowed either if veheicle didnot come with them from the factory/included in the certification of the model)

But, I've been rinning these for a while now, been passing/riding behind the police and never as much as a raised finger...

starbucks_zps30542a5d.jpg

post-8974-0-09782600-1420187716.jpg

post-8974-0-84991300-1420187714.jpg

There are made by AEG

In NL having any but especiially blue colored leds (flickering or not) will have to cops pull you over. blue exclusively for the emergency services (police/ambulance/firefighters).

White LEDs are not allowed either if veheicle didnot come with them from the factory/included in the certification of the model)

But, I've been rinning these for a while now, been passing/riding behind the police and never as much as a raised finger...

attachicon.gifpost-5787-0-87417800-1372842047.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-5787-0-73526400-1372842058.jpg

There are made by AEG

Nice Leon!

Here further upp north in Europe you are not allowed to have the day run lights working whit low beam on! so its ither low beam or day run lights whit parking light/tail light on. I have wired the turn lights so they are on whit parking lights, no legal but have not been pull over by the corps yet.

By the way Leon, your bike would look nice if you made the black lower part of the farin CarbonFiber look. Would match the CF front fender nicely!

• 3 weeks later...

attachicon.gifpost-5787-0-87417800-1372842047.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-5787-0-73526400-1372842058.jpg

There are made by AEG

Those look well integrated on your bike, like OEM.

Archived