Winter Project

ShadowJP88

Hi guys !

As winter's here, I want to repair and to do some modification on my bike and I have different question. I also want to share what I'll do. I can't acces the bike until march, however, I've bring every fairing part at my home to work on them.

Last summer, I've paint my rear wheel in gold and didn't take time to do the front one, I'll do it before the begin of the season. Right now, I've command some handle and short lever. I received some led for turn and brake signal and some Vintage Gold Plasti Dip. I just can't wait to the end of the semester to start cleaning, polish and painting that fairing! (I always see it in my living room teasing me!)

Okay, principal question... as I removed the front fender, I see how much my suspension was leaking... you can see it in the picture above, there is oil all over it. I must change the seal but I was wondering if there is something I can do to have a better front suspension for a low cost. I've seen the post from Terry and it is really interessting but that seems to cost a lot of money.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/79647-5th-gen-suspension-modifcations/

Another question, for the plasti dip, I know there must not be any wax before applying paint but, as I'm gonna have only some decals, I want to wax what will stay in green. Am I better to protect what will be painted and wax before or wax after?

It may take some times to answer, it's the end of the semester, so I've got plenty of exams and study to do. Can't wait to december 17!

JP

This is how it look's right now... in a cold garage :(

Sorry for the quality, whent too fast taking the picture.

post-29896-0-23543600-1417228913.jpg

Here's the oil on the front fender,..

post-29896-0-10848200-1417228931.jpg

post-29896-0-82198300-1417229002.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi,

Good luck with your project. As to front suspension, it's hard to get much less expensive than just doing a springs/fluid upgrade. The 6th gens (mine is a 6th) come with very soft front springs and I replaced those + fluid. I guess you could just go with different fluid, but I'm not sure that will do much for you. Maybe others here who have 5th gens will chime in with suggestions for the least possible $ upgrades :biggrin: ...

ACE

Are you keeping the green colour? I'm thinking of adding some white vinyl wrap,maybe some gold piping to match the wheels.

Yup, I keep the green, I love it. I'm just adding some details like at the bottom of the fairing, air intake and around the light.

Don't know what I'll do on the tank and on the back right now, I'm still thinking about it.

Here is a bad photoshoped picture of what I've planned. :unsure:

Hi,

Good luck with your project. As to front suspension, it's hard to get much less expensive than just doing a springs/fluid upgrade. The 6th gens (mine is a 6th) come with very soft front springs and I replaced those + fluid. I guess you could just go with different fluid, but I'm not sure that will do much for you. Maybe others here who have 5th gens will chime in with suggestions for the least possible $ upgrades :biggrin: ...

ACE

I've found somewhere that racetech spring could be nice and adjusted to my weight and driving habits. The price seem fine, maybe that's probably what I'll do. And changing my rear shock for a CBR1100xx

post-29896-0-15132100-1419025172.jpg

• Member Contributer

No, don't do that. :wacko:

IMHO it looks perfect as it is.

Are you keeping the green colour? I'm thinking of adding some white vinyl wrap,maybe some gold piping to match the wheels.

Yup, I keep the green, I love it. I'm just adding some details like at the bottom of the fairing, air intake and around the light.

Don't know what I'll do on the tank and on the back right now, I'm still thinking about it.

Here is a bad photoshoped picture of what I've planned. :unsure:

Hi,

ACE

I've found somewhere that racetech spring could be nice and adjusted to my weight and driving habits. The price seem fine, maybe that's probably what I'll do. And changing my rear shock for a CBR1100xx

I might add white where you have the different colour,I'm slightly colour blind red/green so that doesn't help!!

I think it will lift the green a bit,I'm thinking maybe of buying a roll of white vinyl on ebay and trying it myself with a heat gun.

If you do it, let me see, I wonder what the result would look like with vinyl

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the result so far.

it's a bit hard to get a good line with the plasti dip, must go fast to remove the tape before it began to dry. I'll need to pass another layer to try correcting that.

I really find the seat cover with stripe is looking nice, planned to do the same on tank.

So far, I've also wax both lower fairing

post-29896-0-00762900-1419832769.jpg

post-29896-0-11271500-1419832770.jpg

post-29896-0-80568500-1419832948.jpg

I have a question.... What can I do to correct the kind of rust or heated metal on the pipe?

Thanks! :)

post-29896-0-86659000-1419833788.jpg

You could try the diet coke/tin foil trick but I doubt it will do much good on rust/heated metal,you could also try 'Peek Polish' I've used it before to polish chrome,

a new end can and link pipe will not only look good but it will open up the exhaust and let you hear that V4 the way it should sound.

I like what you've done so far,can't wait to see the finished product,it will give me ideas for my own bike.

I'll try the Peek Polish, don't wan't to loose time with coke haha

That's not the stock end can, it'S a MIG high pipe :P

I often change it depending if I need my luggage... I'll try to do a kind of heat shield to always leave the MIG on

I quite like it too, there is just the plastidip line which is not as I wish.

• Member Contributer

How did you paint your wheels and what did you use. Fancy doing mine a dull gold colour.

I'm a bit colour blind so excuse me,but is that silver you've added so far? The cowl and rear fairing look great,

I'm thinking of white maybe,it should be a good contrast with the green.

It's called "vintage gold", it almost looks like cooper

How did you paint your wheels and what did you use. Fancy doing mine a dull gold colour.

I used VTH caliper paint, because of the chain oil, I prefer using that to wheel paint, it is this one :

http://www.autocityimports.com//vht-caliper-paint-gold-p-14954.html

The side of the wheel's ray are having a texture, so I put less paint to leave that texture, it gave a nice finish

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hey Shadow. For the exhaust you might also try some red jewellers rouge and a sewn cotton buff attached to a cordless drill. I used to do some detailing with my brother for a local Kenworth dealer in Calgary and we used to polish the wheels, tanks and other aluminum parts with the jewellers rouge. Worked like a charm and really brought out the shine. If the aluminum is badly pitted you can scuff it a bit first with some 1500 grit sandpaper and then use the jewellers rouge. I used the following kit from Princes auto and it worked great for both the exhaust, and the fairing hardware. Also used the kit to polish up the foot rest brackets on my wife's 96 VFR. Since I was doing so much polishing I went to the expense of getting a bench polisher and some 10" diameter buffs versus the 6" ones from Princess Auto but that was because the larger buff made the job quicker and easier. If you do decide to use the rouge, be sure to get a disposable painter suit with a hood to wear as the stuff is messy to use.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/enkay-6-in-buffing-and-polishing-kit/A-p8270431e

• 2 months later...

Yep...IMHO...less is more here.

Well... it could look fine if it would have been darker... and the plasti dip is cheep as f*** .

My nephew embark on my bike and I already have a part of dip lifted up.

I'll remove everything except maybe the lower part on the fairing when the temperature will be smoother and wax it again.

What will I do after that? Wait another year and buy a brand new 8gen, "Cheep job" won't appen anymore :P

Here is some pics

post-29896-0-76789300-1428103612.jpg

post-29896-0-62371800-1428103614.jpg

post-29896-0-31369400-1428103616.jpg

And this one is right now...in is parking... still lots of damn snow!

Archived