Can Going Back To Dino Oil Cause Issues?

Corey

When I bought the bike I didn't have a clue what type of oil was in it. First thing I wanted to do was change the oil, so I put Castrol Actevo Xtra 10W40 4T semi-synthetic in it. It runs fine with it, no complaints. I did notice a different feel in the shifter afterwards for whatever that is worth.

I am considering going back to Dino oil for no other reason than trying to recapture the original feel in the shifter, but was wondering if going from semi-synthetic back to Honda GN4 dino oil would cause issues.

Any thoughts? Can you recommend it? Would you advise against it?

Thanks in advance.

• Member Contributer

No issues changing... you're just going back to less pure oil than synthetic. Synthetic is the best oil but it is your personal preference what you want to run. You were running semi-synthetic so it is even less dramatic a change...

The different feel from your new to you bike may just be you getting used to it...

Personally, I don't blame the oil for my shifting... I work on my technique instead. I use a blend of Rotella T6 5w-40 full synthetic with Mobil 1 10w-40... shifts like butter ;)

I find that more often than not, your chain situation means more to ease of shifting than your oil. This coming from a guy who's only ran Mobil1 Racing 4T, then switched to T6 5-40.

The only thing I believe I've noticed, was the bike makes considerably more noise towards the end of it's oil life on T6, than I noticed running racing 4t.

but for a 33 dollar oil change, with a filter every time, it rocks.

I've never, and will never use dino oil, due to sludge, breakdown deposits, and other hazards of a more natural oil use.

I agree that there are no problems switching back. I did it in my boat with no issues. As long as the oil rating meets the requirements of the manufacturer (ie. SE, SF, etc.), then you should be good.

Archived