Topcase Options For 7Th Gen

marriedman

• Member Contributer

You just have to hunt and/or wait for someone to sell/trade their VFR12 in for something else. That's what I did. Bought the top box and side cases all used. One was badly scratched so I had all three painted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I installed the OEM rear rack and top case yesterday. I decided to go OEM mostly because it offered the best grab rails for my wife. If it wasn't for her riding with me I'd be fine without a topcase at all. The OEM rack is very substantial and while it may be overkill to get the job done, after having put it together I think it is not over priced for the quality you get. The topcase is also very nice though it doesn't stand out (as much) from many of the other after market offerings.

While I suspect no one finds topcases to be particularly attractive on the bike it does look better in person than the pictures I've seen. No doubt the high quality of the parts contributes to this. I will probably only have the rack and topcase on when I am planning a ride with my wife since the rack is so heavy and also probably blocks the tail light somewhat. Unless I just get too lazy and decide to leave it on all the time.

I bought it from Keith at Mason City Honda.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't get a topcase, but I did get something!

post-25220-0-55934400-1418696076.jpg

Never been on a bike and ready for me to key them for my ignition key! I didn't get them for a steal, but I got them for a fair price. I had to sell a lot of stuff, but it will be worth it come spring 2015!

• Member Contributer

Still looking for those side cases for a deal, but just ordered the SW Motech AluRack for the bike so I can add my topcase and will at least be ready for commuting duty if the Spring ever gets here or I get a decent riding day (it's cold in Chicago...)

-Dan

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Question for you guys that have installed the SW Motech topcase rack. I destroyed two of the four plastic endcaps, but Twisted Throttle was kind enough to send me 2 replacements.

Any suggestions on installing them without destroying them? The other two I successfully tapped in with pressure against the floor and my garage refridgerator... The two that broke, same thing.

I'd lube them up prior to install, but won't that increase chances they'll fall out?

Otherwise, install of rack was easy, and it is a VERY solid rack.

All help appreciated.

- Dan

Split.

This may sound disgusting, but a lot of old car mechanics all swear by it. It's got a good lubricity and water soluble, and... free.

Question for you guys that have installed the SW Motech topcase rack. I destroyed two of the four plastic endcaps, but Twisted Throttle was kind enough to send me 2 replacements.

Any suggestions on installing them without destroying them? The other two I successfully tapped in with pressure against the floor and my garage refridgerator... The two that broke, same thing.

I'd lube them up prior to install, but won't that increase chances they'll fall out?

All help appreciated.

- Dan

Had the same problem. Broke my replacements as well.... It seemed like the powder coating was too thick. I ended up ordering some 'engineering samples' from another place that looked very similar and had a slightly smaller diameter.

• Member Contributer

Split.

This may sound disgusting, but a lot of old car mechanics all swear by it. It's got a good lubricity and water soluble, and... free.

Correct for me to read 'spit'?

- Dan

All help appreciated.

- Dan

Had the same problem. Broke my replacements as well.... It seemed like the powder coating was too thick. I ended up ordering some 'engineering samples' from another place that looked very similar and had a slightly smaller diameter.

Assuming I bust up the replacements, can you give me the info on the "engineering samples" ?? Would be much appreciated. Really trying not to force them... will try spit tonight.

- Dan

Sorry... spit, yes. Being water soluble, it dries pretty much without any residue.

Alternative is... just leave the plug off. Few yrs ago, I installed an SW Motech Alu rack on my '09 Sprint ST and was able to get one plug in and broke all the others, so I just left one tube open. Didn't look all that noticeable anyway. You can get a neoprene plug from Lowes or home depot if you are worried about water entering and staying the tube.

• Member Contributer

ordered som esmaller ones from Amazon for $4 shipped....tried spit, and no dice. Just with hand strength, I destroyed one, the other I'm saving. Tried dropping it in hot water for flexibility, no dice. Put it in the freezer thinking it might shrink...nope.

Like you said, no worries, but I like it to be "just right." You know?

-Dan

• Member Contributer

Rider - Would you mind taking a picture of the pieces and where they go? I don't have that rack, but I was considering it. I'd like to be a little better informed.

Sure. Left side has plugs, right side does not. Here's a few angles so you can see what I mean.

48C5C8C7-F699-48E9-BF2D-4A9484FF367D_zps

8B27542F-832C-4D26-B623-224AA12A6C39_zps

EF03AAE2-8A89-40CA-8363-3115532F65C5_zps

7AD49D6C-BA8D-4C8A-A0A3-0C5D7791BB22_zps

-Dan

Ah! Now I understand better.

Oh, typical pipe plugs you can buy everywhere. For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-1-Round-Tubing-Plastic-Plug-Cap-1-Inch-11-19-Ga-1-OD-Pipe-Diameter-/131319022282?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e933942ca

Grab a vernier, measure the OD and order a correct one.

I was thinking there had to be a way to do it. I bet this would work nicely.

• Member Contributer

Oh, typical pipe plugs you can buy everywhere. For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-1-Round-Tubing-Plastic-Plug-Cap-1-Inch-11-19-Ga-1-OD-Pipe-Diameter-/131319022282?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e933942ca

Grab a vernier, measure the OD and order a correct one.

This is what I did. Bought one millemeter smaller size and I'm sure I'll get these in. Will try to,or row when I install my center stand and pull the fairings to install my quartet harness so I can add a usb outlet.

- Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I have been holding out in hopes that DAvid Silver Spares would be getting the OEM topcase back in stock/

https://www.davidsilverspares.com/VFR1200FA-2010/part_125404/

On a whim I called them to inquire about the status of them getting them back. The guy said they lost their supplier, but I could check back in 6 months.

Just wanted to put this out here in case anyone was interested.

On both my old VFR's I had full luggage sets but I found that the one piece that got the most usage was the topcase. I like the look of the OEM topcase, but there is no way in hell I am spending ~$900 for that and the mounting kit. I have looked at the Givi setup, but I do not like the way it looks. It sticks up and back too far and it looks like it will break too easily. Such as this:

post-20375-0-40828100-1359620482.jpg

I only know of a few case manufacturers (Givi, Kappa, & Shad) but what I am hoping to find is a 35 liter topcase that I can put my helmet in at least and not look like a waiter with a serving tray.

givi-honda-vfr1200f-hd.jpg

11650129-waiter-with-tray-of-food-in-han

There is a fox sitting on your bike :cool:

• 4 months later...
Guest richy170

I was looking to buy the new larger OEM top case when it came on the market for my European tours, but was annoyed to find that you also had to buy new brackets etc and you can't swap top cases over without changing the brackets. I like to use a small top case just to store my lid. In the end I bought the Givi E55 Maxia for touring and a smaller one for my lid. They are also so much lighter and easier to carry. They also have the benefit of being able to add high line brake lights into the reflectors on the rears. You can't have that flexibility with the OEM cases.

I have E55 and V46 for the same reasons. They have been on 5 different bikes so far.

No street bike gets on my consideration list unless I can get a Monokey top case rack.

I don't mind OEM hard luggage. Quite often they are better integrated with the bike - both functionally and aesthetically. But I would only get them if they come with the bike... or I happen to find them used cheap right around the time of the bike purchase.

Funny this thread should pop up again, I just had a failure with the SW-Motech camloc bolts on the mounting plate:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/81254-sw-motech-alu-rack-topcase-adapter-plate-failed/

While I do like the appearance of the Alu-Rack, I am now concerned that the quality is substandard. I have reached out to both Twisted Throttle and SW-Motech for some input.

• Member Contributer

I bit the bullet for the OEM rear carrier. It's solid cast metal. Very heavy but strong.

And I just ordered a 45L red and black top case from a Honda dealer in England.

I wanted something that would hold a backpack with laptop or two helmets. We'll see how it all works.

• Member Contributer

Funny this thread should pop up again, I just had a failure with the SW-Motech camloc bolts on the mounting plate:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/81254-sw-motech-alu-rack-topcase-adapter-plate-failed/

While I do like the appearance of the Alu-Rack, I am now concerned that the quality is substandard. I have reached out to both Twisted Throttle and SW-Motech for some input.

Not happy to hear this...will follow up on your thread, but mine seems rock solid to date, and I put WAY to much weight in mine...

Also, you can use plain old bolts instead of the camlock thingamajigs.

-Dan

Since you mention weight, here is what I just posted in the other thread. I only put it here as information for whomever else might find this thread:

One more thing of note, in the top case was a 24 oz Contigo water bottle, summer mesh gloves, gym bag (gym shorts, shirt, & headphones) foam earplugs, and a towel.

So what is that, 5lbs rounded up?

Archived