The Good News: I Got All Of The Rust Out Of My Gas Tank ('93 Vfr 750F). The Bad News--

SAW

• Member Contributer

--the float for the fuel gauge fell off of its arm. I'll have to get some kind of flexible pliers thing to get it back on.

I used apple cider vinegar; it removed all of the rust. It also put me in the mood for some sauerkraut.

• Member Contributer

I could see rust fakes after about 2 hours. I used 3 gallons. I let it soak for 24 hours, then turned the tank over and let it soak for another 2 hours. I rinsed with water and baking soda. It was a piece of cake--other than the float dismounting itself.

I just went through h3ll with my 4th gens tank. I mean H3ll. I used 4 containers of the works, and a yamaha treatment not to mention 2 days of electrolysis. I finally got it clean. I have never seen a tank so bad though. I'd love to know what you did. Can you detail it out for us?

for those not in the know, if you splash some gas or acetone in the tank immediately after the water/vinegar, you will avoid flash rusting.

• Member Contributer

Drained gas. Flushed with water. Added 3 gal. of apple cider vinegar and let it sit for 24 hours (probably not necessary to do it that long.) Then I turned the tank over, so that the vinegar could do its thing on the top 1/4 of the tank for about 2 hours. Then I drained the tank, added some water and a box of baking soda ( to neutralize the acid,) sloshed, rotated, and drained. I thought my compressor would help with the drying, but it was ineffective. So, I used an old hair blowdryer--with the petcock removed to aid airflow. The gas cap lock needed a few sprays of WD40 to work smoothly. I don't know if the vinegar had anything to do with the float coming off the arm; I think I might have been a touch too aggressive with my "sloshing."

I'm reluctant to spray anything in the tank because I've heard too many tales of the coating eventually disintegrating and creating more problems. The PO had let the bike sit for 3 years, and I'm sure that contributed to the problem. I'll be riding much more frequently :)

• Member Contributer

I thought you used IPA after neutralizing with baking soda. Wouldn't IPA absorb any water and evaporate out? I know acetone evaporates out too, but didn't think it would help with clearing out any last bits of water.

After you finish washing it out, just fill it with gas. The gas vapors will keep it from rusting as well.

I coated the inside of my tank with POR 15. http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Motorcycle-Fuel-Tank-Repair-Kit-_p_106.html

There was so much rust in my tank there was chucks coming out after I drained it of the old gas that was sitting in it for 14 years. After I drained it the first time, I put in some ball bearings and water to loosen the heavy spots of rust. After drying it out I followed the instructions given in the kit. I'm real happy with the results and I haven't had any issues to date.

post-7615-0-11592300-1412359420.jpg

post-7615-0-96892500-1412359422.jpg

post-7615-0-86446400-1412359429.jpg

Archived