Found Some Residue In The Airbox

• Member Contributer

If you start it up with the lid off the airbox, does the PCV tube from the back head have a lot of blow by.

Other words is there a lot air coming from the blow by tube into the airbox ?

• Member Contributer

I'll have to test that tomorrow. What would this indicate? I'm trying no to jump to conclusions and thinking bad of rings or something.

Yeah but have you seen this before and is it getting worst ? And when you changed oil are you using the same oil as

before ?

Come to think of it I did notice some residue when I first got the bike this spring while I changed the air filter and I don't think it's any worse,just a light film. I switched brands but not type on the last change. Also,I left the filter alone because I'm going to change the oil again in a month or so when I put the bike away for the winter.

• Member Contributer

A little bit ok. Just make sure when you change the oil to check and clean the air box. The 6th gen is a little different it has a little galley where the oil from the PCV forms so when I change the oil I open the airbox and take a paper towel and wipe out the oil residue .

• Member Contributer

this isn't a big deal. it comes from the pair system. delete the pair system and you will never see it again unless you route your crank breather into your intake.

this is NOT from the pair system..,

the breathers ARE connected to the airbox straight from the factory ..

the tube allows a mist of oil made by the spinning crank to vent back into the airbox vs out in the air. it is NOT a big deal.

if it worries you in any way..

your can plug the airbox hole and route a longer tube up the back of the bike. either to a filtered vent or box or just open tube ... route it so the hose loops around the sub frame. and it will be nearly impossible to get dirt down to the crankcase.

Archived