Oil Use

vtwindr

my Versys 1000 never used a drop

1500miles now on the VFR, didn't seem to use much until 500 very fast miles this weekend, up at the top of the rev range alot and the level is at the minimum on the sight glass. Is this normal for a V4? My previous V-twins were similar

I have a little more mileage than you, caned it well this past weekend (took off Friday) and the oil is at precisely the same level as at the 600-mile service. So, no oil used at all over 1100 miles or so.

My 03 never used oil either.

Make sure you're checking on a level surface, on the centerstand (if you have one)

Keep in mind the difference between top and bottom of the sight glass range is a pretty small amount of oil.

i cant talk about the 8th gen, but my 5th gen (supposedly same engine with gear driven cams instead of chain, and no v-tec) is 14 years old and has 62,000 km (39,000 mi) and doesn't burn a drop of oil yet, and i do play hard on her, last weekend alot of high speed spirited riding as well as a couple of high speed cruising on highway and oil level is about the same since last oil change (3000-4000 km ago)

p.s. i always check oil level in my garage on center-stand few minutes after shutting off the bike so i kinda eliminate any external factors that could affect oil level

no leaks. I will keep an eye. The only bike I had that used oils was a V-twin which could go 1000s of miles commuting and use nothing then a weekend away thrashing it and it would use a couple of hundred mls!

my Versys 1000 never used a drop

1500miles now on the VFR, didn't seem to use much until 500 very fast miles this weekend, up at the top of the rev range alot and the level is at the minimum on the sight glass. Is this normal for a V4? My previous V-twins were similar

Your engine is still new & bedding in. Trust you didn't go full synthetic at the first service. V2, V4, ILtwin, IL4 makes no difference to oil consumption.

it's got whatever the Honda dealer used at the first service. Checked after riding to work today and is about halfway between max and min in the glass. I did warm the bike from cold by idling for a few mins when checking yesterday but perhaps not warm enough

I trust the Honda factory technicians I know in Japan. I use Honda synthetic (made by Idemitsu) in all my bikes after the 600 mile break in and am completely satisfied with the results.

What does the handbook say?

it's got whatever the Honda dealer used at the first service. Checked after riding to work today and is about halfway between max and min in the glass. I did warm the bike from cold by idling for a few mins when checking yesterday but perhaps not warm enough

Half way between min & max? Perfect. Did you check the level after it returned from the first service?

Archived