Starting In Gear

jaydj

So I used to be able to start by VFR in gear (like if I stalled at a light), but now I have to shift into neutral to start it. Anyone have a similar issue and solution. Curious if this is a sign of dreaded electrical problems to come as my bike approaches 63,000mi.

• Member Contributer

Might also check the sidestand interlock. That kills the engine if you put it in gear with the sidestand down.

Nope, forget that because it wouldn't even run at all. So never mind.

Short the two wires together at the clutch lever and see if it will start in gear .

Yeah, this ^ would be a really dumb idea unless you also to bother to pull in on the clutch lever at the same time..... unless you want your motorcycle laying on it's left side.

Use a multimeter to check the function of the clutch switch.

• Member Contributer

Short the two wires together at the clutch lever and see if it will start in gear .

Yeah, this ^ would be a really dumb idea unless you also to bother to pull in on the clutch lever at the same time..... unless you want your motorcycle laying on it's left side.

Use a multimeter to check the function of the clutch switch.

Common sense for most riders but for you next time I will be sure and write a common sense disclaimer.

Let me update this in case you dont know that you have to pull the clutch in to try this.

Lee 2002 common sense disclaimer added .

:goofy: Hot dam that's funny .

Archived