Slip On Not Lining Up With Exhaust Any More

VIFFR

I removed my exhaust system (everything) to remove the heat wrap. It faded to white, looks shit and whatever, so it came off.

Now my mid pipe wont line up properly with my slip on. I've loosened off the header bolts and tried to shift everything as best I could but it's not lining up.

So it will have to come off. Another PITA job that involves pulling the whole damn bike apart once more to get to anything.

Anyone here have any tips for installing the whole system and getting it to line up correctly? Oh and for good measure, I snapped one of the bolts off inside the block. Now i have to drill that out. FFS. And I have cracks appearing in my fairings too. Jolly.

At least it's running and registered again. That's a start. :D

So I'll take it drag racing and will feel better !

I Was gonna say make sure to loosen up all the bolts, but you're on that. All I can say is I know what it feels like when a quick job turns into a royal pain in the ass.

If you were smart enough to loosen everything up then you'll figure it out, sometimes a break and some beer and or whisky can do wonders is all I can say. good luck.

Thanks njride. I put the bike back together, made a new (bodgy) hanger bracket and parked it. I have too much on in my life to worry about it. There are no leaks and its close, so it will do for now. Ha ha

I wonder if the heat wrap might have caused your pipes to warp out of alignment because of the resulting heat soaking that the pipes were subjected to.....

Did you notice the pipes immediately jump off alignment when you took the bolts off??

The mid pipe can rotate on an axis 90 degrees from the centerline of the bike. Twist it around and it will come together. (by twist, I mean rotate it)

Hi Beck, the pipes all came off cleanly. They weren't forced off and didn't 'pop' when they came apart.

It's just an alignment issue.

Timmy, thanks for that. I'll have a look at that when I next pull the bike apart. For now though, it will do.

Archived