Basic Question About Fork Swaps - Trail & Rake

marriedman

I've been reading several threads about fork swaps and there is always a part when they talk about the trail or rake being changed or making sure that it doesn't. This is where my inexperience and general ignorance of motorcycle geometry comes into play.

As I understand it, the angle of the forks to the ground gives us the rake. And the angle of the forks combined with the height of the axle is what determines the trail. Am I correct so far? If so, then wouldn't the rake be determined by the angle of the head where the yoke/triple tree mounts? And then the trail would be determined by the length of the forks that are used. Correct?

As a side note, it appears as though it is always the same forks that are used. RC51, f4i, or R1. What about other models that have inverted forks? The FZ1 has them as do Suzuki TL1000R's.

Basically I am just curious about the basics. Thanks all!

Yeah, that was pretty much over my head. If I read it correctly, the offset of the tube holes has a lot to do with the rake and trail. With a greater diameter fork tube, the less space for wheel and calipers. With thinner tubes, more axle spacer.

One thing that I find interesting is V4 Rosso post about the Hornet fork being 41mm. Does that mean that they will fit in the stock VFR triple?

I'm using 05 gsxr 600 forks and yokes with a ducati 848 front wheel. I have too much trail at the moment, and fork springs that are too soft, so the front end pushes a little under brakes going downhill- uphill or flat, no probs.

Once I get stiffer fork springs, I will raise the forks a little in the yokes to shorten the trail. I need the forks stiffer to maintain clearance for the front mount rad.

Or I could raise the back end a little, same effect.

Confusing, ain't it?

I'll tell you from experience that finding a worse 41mm fork than the one on the hornet would be difficult.

lol... okay, is it the internal design of the fork? Is it something that can be rectified with some Jamie Daugherty magic? Or is it just an inherently bad design?