Well I'll Be Damned!

CHUCK2

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

A simple alternative tie down is a set of ratchet straps used for securing luggage. Put the strap over the lower tee/yoke, then hook the S hook on the strap so the S sits flat under the tee/yoke. Then at the other end hook the S into the hole in the bottom of your slider, run strap up/down the leg, depends what end your ratchet is at, trim to length, as we don't want excess, now ratchet down. Remember the average bike only has 4-5 inches of fork movement, so note the measurement when you start & stop when it bottoms out. Remember that if you wheelie, there is NO front end cushion now when it comes back down !

• Member Contributer

Not sure what you mean by the hole in the bottom of the slider. Could you provide a picture perhaps? Would 2 straps (1 on each side) be needed? I also don't understand the reason for noting the measurement.

Would the bolt used be the one that the service manual says a new one is needed during installation?

Because I'm trying to understand why you're having issues with strapping you front end down. With all the questions you were asking I figured you had radial brakes. Lol

But you have standard brakes lol

• Member Contributer

Ok. Thanks. Could you show me a pic of the strap mounted on your bike?

Just run it from that caliper bolt, up and over the frame (in between the gas tank and top triple tree) and back down to the other caliper bolt. You are making this WAY more complicated than it really is. Just be sure to do it in a way that making adjustments is as easy as possible, with the puller in an easy to reach spot and the strap as untwisted as possible.

You don't need to or want to fully compress the forks. You just want to put some compression on them so that there is no rebound when you launch. This is how straps work, to reduce wheelie tendencies, by eliminating rebound. A nice half way in between normal ride height and full compression of the forks would be a good starting point. You still want the forks to be able to absorb some impact if you do hit a bump or land hard after a wheelie.

Do not commute or street ride with the straps, they are for race use only, it will ride and handle like shit even at full release and they have the possibility of snagging or binding on stuff.

• Member Contributer

Ok. Thanks again. I do have a tendency to do that. I'm trying to make due with straps I already have. Does your bike have LBS?

• Member Contributer

Perhaps I'm wrong, but the way it appears to me is that the L/S lower bracket to fork mount location can't be used due to the hole the bolt goes into. And if the upper mount location (Secondary M/C to bracket) is used the metal part at the end of the strap would be in contact with the brake lines.

• Member Contributer

I was checking my bike out again tonight & I can't see any way that a strap could be attached to either (upper or lower) caliper mounting bolt. Too much LBS parts in the way. A '98 must be different.

Me versus a new zx10r. The zx10r had a brocks racing full system and had the front end strapped down. I did zero suspension prepping and just went out there for fun, big wheelies everywhere lol. Still beat the zx10r 3 out of 4 times :)

Lol I didn't rub it in. He chalked it up to me having a quickshifter lol

I'm going back this Saturday night. With an extra two links in a race only non oring chain. Front end lowered and strapped down. Rear shock ride height set to minimum, triangle plates rotated and preload/dampining set to full stiff. Gas tank empty. Mirrors and passenger peg pulled. Shooting for real hard launches, low e.t.s and big trap speeds. :)

Nice. I'm actually trying to get down there this Friday night. Used to call it Bithlo back in the day. What were your times?

Just looked at the schedule. Saturday is much better. No race cars allowed so should get more runs and only $10. Used to be $15

My personal best was in april or may running 10.82 at 128. That run in the video was 11 flat at 123.

I've gained ten or 15 pounds since then, had a full tank of gas, didn't pull the mirrors or passenger pegs, strap the forks or set up the suspension at all this time. I just went out for fun. The weather wasn't really optimal for fast runs.

• Member Contributer

Awesome videos. Some guys get to have all the fun.

Why did your friend only need to shift about 2 times? Was he running a large front sprocket & small rear?

Thanks man.

The other bike was a liter bike (zx10r). Those things redline first gear at about 100 mph and he was trapping at only 128 that night. I was running a 1 down three up sprocket kit so my shifting was really exaggerated.

Archived