Looking For Powerlet, Cigarette Or Usb Port Mount/placement Suggestions

Corey

Let me first say that I don't want to cut into any OEM plastics.

I'd like to add a Powerlet port (or cigarette type, or USB) somewhere up front on my 5th gen. Basically something to supply constant power to my phone, gps or other device. I can't use the head stem Powerlet option because I have one of huntinggunns ball mounts coming soon (unless they make a port for a ball mount). Plus I use a headlift stand, so using the head stem option is out of the question. I am at my wits end trying to figure out where I can cleanly mount one. Any suggestions? Photos of how and where others have placed and mounted theirs would be helpful too.

Thanks

Thanks, I did already check out the website, however it is difficult for me to visualize how specific sockets and mounts will work on a 5th Gen based on the photos on the website. I was hoping that someone who already has a working setup would show it and possibly offer some install advice.

Not sure if you are opposed to drilling any OEM plastic or just the painted stuff. Personally I wouldn't drill into the painted fairing, but did do the gauge surround. In the end if I need to replace it, it is less than $60 and don't have to worry about matching old paint.

gallery_1859_4603_407365.jpg

• Member Contributer

Corky, Wera is right on with his advice. The side panels are cheap to replace and work well with the cords and such. You may also want to consider what some of the list members have done with mounting spots from the two forward tank bolts - adapting and making up solutions which could possibly bolt to those or the top triple tree. If you want to spare yourself those trials, and the headpost is indeed not an option, the side panel option is your best route.

Dave.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I may end up cutting into the gauge surround. I don't want to, but I may not have a choice. I want to add a Datel voltage meter too, so that would be two different things I would be trying to find mounting points. Cutting into the surround for those would probably be the simplest solution.

MarantzManiac, how is the quality of that dual USB connector?

I'll let you know in a couple of days. If pics are any indication should be decent. I also ordered a Honda Oem marine illuminated voltmeter H-37453-ZW5-000ZA from boats.net for ~$30. I'm also trying to avoid cutting the fairing moulding if at all possible. Well see when parts arrive.

• 4 weeks later...

It comes out to about 2.08 in, so I think I used a 2 inch hole saw and a file to get mine done. You can get it nice and snug with the slightly smaller hole saw and then the file doing a little at a time. Mine is nice and tight, looks oem,matches the stock gauges nicely. My little nephews were down for labor day and they actually noticed it on top of the left fairing, they were surprised it wasn't stock. Lol impressing 10 yr olds with quality craftsmenship, Ill take it.

Funny thing is my r/r went bad after I installed it and I didn't notice it anyway and ended up broke down, a fellow rider in a car stopped and let me charge up my battery at his house and I was on my way. Thought that was pretty cool. Oh well I tried. I do watch it now though.

Oh, my usb charger I put on the right hand side and cut the plastic cluster surround, it was the best place I saw. On my hawk I have one attached to the stock high rise clip on.

Archived