Noise After An Oil Change

rigger4343

Hey guys.

First time I have done an oil change on my VFR today. After the change, cranked her up and let her run for a few minutes to check the level on the glass. Oil level was fine and no noise. Then I dropped the coolant to flush the cooling system, ran a couple of times to flush. Refilled everything with new coolant.

After filling with coolant, cranked her back up and then this new noise pops up. Not sure how to describe it, not really a valve tap but not a motor knock either. Something in between the two I guess. Ran it for a few minutes and it seems to be a little spur attic. Rode it down the street just from 1st to 2nd gear and back to the house. Runs fine but the noise is still there. Granted there are no fairings on the bike at the moment so maybe I am hearing something new because of that but I have decent ears and I do not believe I have ever had a noise like this pop up on something after an oil change.

Anyone else experience something like this ?

When you say "ran a couple of times to flush" do you mean run the engine without coolant? Maybe that has caused a water pump issue, generally they don't like to run dry. I have found that if you drain the coolant through the water pump bolt, and then remove the bottom hose off the water pump, you get most of the coolant out. No need to run the engine! (If that's what you meant). Hopefully it's an air bubble, or similar. Make sure you have burped it completely, on side stand with bars turned to lock to get the rad cap as high as possible. Remove rad cap, then run until thermo opens, blip throttle a few times, replace cap and allow to cool. Once cool, open rad cap and check/adjust coolant level in rad and overflow bottle.

yeah, the water pumps don't like to run dry. When I change coolant, I'll hit the the starter button a few times, but not enough to fire the engine. ALWAYS keep that pump wet

I never ran her dry but I did not think of something like an bubble in the system. Just does not seem like an air lock would make this kind of a noise. After the oil change was done, I ran it in the garage and no noise, oil level was fine.

I drained all the coolant, flushed the system, drained that. Refilled with coolant and the last time I cranked it up was when I started to hear the noise. It was on the center stand so maybe it did have an air lock in the cooling system but like I said, I have never heard of an air lock that would sound like this.

As far as oil goes, I do not know what was in it. It was changed by the dealer I bought the bike from about 7 months ago. I put Mobil 1 synthetic in it.

Guess I will experiment with it some more in the morning. Hopefully it is just a weird air long thing that is somehow making noise.

Does the noise sound like a Duck, clack clack clack ? front cct would be my first guess, typically the bike would start up noise free, and about 30 seconds you start hearing the clack. Use a stethoscope and trace it, but that's a real common noise and if just dumped dino oil to mobil1, I wouldn't doubt it.

I guess a clack sound might be a good way to describe it. This morning it did not do it on warm up. Then after a couple of minutes it back but it was not as loud. Took the bike for a ride today, about 50-70 miles total and it was there for maybe 5-10 miles and after that, never heard it again. Went out later and cranked her up in the garage, no noise.

So are you trying to tell me this is common after an oil change or maybe just because of an oil brand change?

Not to worried about it, just wanted to ask and learn.

• Member Contributer

I guess a clack sound might be a good way to describe it. This morning it did not do it on warm up. Then after a couple of minutes it back but it was not as loud. Took the bike for a ride today, about 50-70 miles total and it was there for maybe 5-10 miles and after that, never heard it again. Went out later and cranked her up in the garage, no noise.

So are you trying to tell me this is common after an oil change or maybe just because of an oil brand change?

Yep first time I ran Rotella T6 same thing BUT mine stop after warm up and never heard it again .

Yep , sounds to the letter like the front cct. Some oils are better at hiding the noise, atleast till they don't.

Archived