New Toy!

Guest mickyvee

Guest mickyvee

I picked up my 2011 model VFR1200F today. What an incredible machine! I rode to the dealer on my 2013 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport8v, and the difference couldn't be more marked. The Honda is vastly more powerful, better balanced, and easier to ride, and I've had 5 Guzzi's, so I am a bit of a fan, but this Honda, wow! And I have yet to exceed 5000rpm! One slight issue though, my HISS lamp isn't blinking with the ignition off. Any ideas chaps?

welcome, glad you're enjoying your new ride....we don't have the HISS on US models

Decided to take my wife for a spin on the new bike today. Went to adjust the rear preload and found the knob impossible to turn in any direction. Searched the forums only to find that this is a common problem, some owners being on their 6th new shock! Luckily mine is still under warranty, so I'm hopeful of a happy ending. I'll let you knpw what happens. I must say that I didn't expect this from a Honda!

• Member Contributer

I'm wondering when my pre-load will give up the ghost. Congrats on the new ride. Don't be miffed about that. Can't help you with the HISS issue either... we don't get that feature in 'Murica. :)

My pre-load still works, but I live in a warm climate. Not that I want mine to fail, but if it does, it would be a nice incentive to upgrade the rear shock. I'm a glass-half-full kinda guy.

my preload adjuster got stuck once because i went past the max setting....i put an Ohlins in since...much better !!

:cool: I thought I'd read the owners handbook. There was an article on the HISS and there was the cure. One minute later and all was well. Marvellous!

My bike is booked in at the shop to have the shock looked at, and at the same time, have a mainstand fitted. The chief tech told me that VFR preload adjusters seize up with monotonous regularity. Must be due to our wonderful climate! I'll probably fit a Hagon unit in due course. I'm also going to order a pair of knee pads to protect my already scratched fuel tank.

• Member Contributer

Congrats on your new ride!! The big VFR is a brilliant bit of kit!! I still have a big grin inside my helmet on every ride!!

:cheerleader: The dealers have just called, my bike is ready, replete with new mainstand and a brand new rear shock. They are going to deliver it tomorrow morning. They gave me a 2014 model to ride whilst mine was in dock, and I noticed straight away that the seat was much comfier. I enquired as to the cost of a new seat and was shocked to be told it was over £400!!!!! That's dearer than a Corbin or a Sargent. I'll wait until winter, and have the stock seat reshaped and reupholstered in a better quality material. It is really slippy and very firm as stock, not a great combination.

:cheerleader: The dealers have just called, my bike is ready, replete with new mainstand and a brand new rear shock. They are going to deliver it tomorrow morning. They gave me a 2014 model to ride whilst mine was in dock, and I noticed straight away that the seat was much comfier. I enquired as to the cost of a new seat and was shocked to be told it was over £400!!!!! That's dearer than a Corbin or a Sargent. I'll wait until winter, and have the stock seat reshaped and reupholstered in a better quality material. It is really slippy and very firm as stock, not a great combination.

£400 is a lot more what you can buy the same seat from discount outlets here in the US. I've got a '12 seat on my '10 and it is a marked improvement. I spent less than $100 on the swap so I'm happy with it. Not worth it if it's much more than that. I do think, however, a well done aftermarket seat will be a better investment if you are going to spend that kind of money.

I've got my bike back, complete with a brand new rear shock. The preload adjuster is still very hard to turn, mainly due to its very poor location. You simply cannot get a hold of it. Bloody ridiculous. No wonder they seize up! I'll have to lube it once a week. My Guzzi may have had its faults, but at least you could easily adjust the suspenders!

Mmmm. A balloon eh? Good idea! A black one should be inconspicuous. The more I think about it, the more I like it!

Archived