Freeplay In Outer Clutch Basket

Auspanglish

Hi y'all VFR gurus... just wondering if anyone can expound on whether the freeplay in the outer clutch basket (just the outer one, not the inner)... as seen in the following video is normal or if the bearing and collars are probably stuffed????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_YH6YEpDVg

Found that the discs are worn to the spec limit at 26.000 km and they do not separate correctly on pulling in the clutch lever. The springs are also rubbing on the finger-shaped struts that extend outward over which the springs are placed and onto which the clutch plate is srewed down, and have left noticeable grooves which they probably get caught up on.

The weared out grooves:

nytuhaga.jpg

Is this noise normal??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvLkWrX9kbc

Many thanks in advance fellow VFR maniacs!!

So we decided to disassemble.

What we are wondering now is what's the trick with using the brakes instead of the Honda Special Tool (Clutch Centre Holder) for being able to apply torque to the lock nut (127Nm).

We want to save the US$150 and have heard about using the rear brake but wonder about putting it in 6th as this won't allow us to leave the primary drive gear free. Right??

Thinking we may be able to avoid touching the primary drive gear... it may be that the service manual indicates procedures that are surplus to needs... like it does with removing the front CCT.

So we decided to disassemble.

What we are wondering now is what's the trick with using the brakes instead of the Honda Special Tool (Clutch Centre Holder) for being able to apply torque to the lock nut (127Nm).

We want to save the US$150 and have heard about using the rear brake but wonder about putting it in 6th as this won't allow us to leave the primary drive gear free. Right??

I simply welded a square tube (that would fit between the basket fingers) to a used metal clutch plate and whamo instant clutch basket tool! Even if you bought a new metal clutch plate and a 12" piece of tubing it's less then $30 to make one.

Used Impact wrench to break nut loose.

BR

• Member Contributer

I did this disassembly recently and used this tool (about $25.00 USD) for removing the locknut and it worked fine with an electric impact. To install the new locknut I put it in gear with transmission, brake and the clutch tool and was able to torque up with no issues. The harder one was the starter clutch gear at 103 nm but again with the 6th gear, brake and clutch holder tool on the clutch outer it torques fine. You definately will need at least one assistant to do this with the tool. Also, you do not need to remove the oil pump gear since the upper one will come off and back on when you install the collar. As to the play check the condition of the different bearings that the 2 clutch baskets use and also the collar dimensions. Not a difficult disassembly just be careful and organized. The tool is made by Motionpro and Tusk.

post-24160-0-58712200-1398533721.jpg

Hey thanks BAILEY and EXPVET... thanks for coming through for me.

The clutch doesn't sound so bad although it does make some noise... the thing does disengage/engage properly though. Not getting the full disengagement for the amount you pull on the lever... if that makes sense.

Nice ideas for clutch tools thanks.

Not my bike, a nearby fellow fórum member's... although I must admit my clutch baskets wear both worn and much more so, at the 100,000 km mark my 2003 6th gen engine made it too before a threw a 2007 one into my frame... well really threw my frame onto a 2007 bike with a cracked steering head.

But this bike at 26,000 km shouldn't have this kind of wear on the basket... I think previous owner was hammering the clutch and trying to pop wheelies... that's surely why mine was worn (many track days and wheelie popping I'm ashamed to say).

Will report on the route we take... I'm pushing for a complete swap, all bearings, guides, collars and baskets, plates, springs everything... and the MC and Slave pistons and mechanisms as well... but my buddy is obviously reluctant to spend all the cash and is looking for a shortcut... strumming over it for days now...

Archived