1983 Vf750F Idle/won't Stay Running

Hey guys. Lookin for a little assistance with my ceptor, she went down at a standstill last summer, ran fine for a few days then the tach started dropping and losing power. I limped her home and have been messing with it ever since. I've replaced fuel filters, spark plugs, bought a carb kit and rebuilt the carbs, reinstalled everything and the bike is still running like crap, any advise on what to do/check now? Can start the bike but have to keep revving to keep the bike running. Any help would be frely appreciated

• Member Contributer

Check all wires, connections and grounds near the coils. Tach runs off one of the coils so I'd start there.

So, I've adjusted the pilot screws as per clymers manual, got the bike idling right around 1000, I felt confident enough to test er out, took her around the block and half way my tack started dropping and running erratically...perhaps my ignition coil is wearing?

• Member Contributer

Make sure all your grounds are clean and tight. There is one on my R that is under the seat and has 2 green wires connected together and bolted to the frame, once it was loose and acted similar. My thoughts turn to ignition pickup coils. They can run fine till heated up then fail, leading to one coil going down. There is a test for them in the manual. Check their connection as well.

I had an extremely annoying problem a few years ago. I would start my bike, let it idle while getting ready and it ran fine. Ran fine till I got to the gas station. Every time I stopped at the gas station, it would not refire till I waited 30 minutes then it would fire and run fine. It did this for months. I swapped black boxes, coils, plugs, you name it. It ended up being the pickup coils. I swapped them out with another set and haven't had a problem since.

Is the tach jumping all over the place when this happens?

I believe Ive isolated my issue to the spark box at the back of the bike, I'm fairly certain I have the correct box cause I tap one box and see my taps on the tach. What is this box called ? As I will need to order the part and just for general knowledge sense. Thanks guys, been a big help here, I feel quite accomplished having gone over this bike so thoroughly in the last few weeks.

• Member Contributer

Hey 83Interceptor750, is this what you are talking about? Grabbed a pic from ebay. I believe its called a capacitor discharge ignition thingy/box.

I would also recommend checking the clearance gap of the pulse generators. If I am not mistaken they use the Hall effect, and therefore the gap is critical. Easy to adjust. Made a difference on my old bike the first time I set the gap to factory spec. Requires the right side engine cover to be removed, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/83-Honda-VF-750-F-CDI-Box-OD-/190975124374?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c77012396&vxp=mtr

$(KGrHqR,!lYE8F!qvQs0BPEO8elYfg~~60_12.J

Archived