? For Those Who Have Removed The Rear Shock 4Th Gen

• Member Contributer

Edit: I realized that I was looking at removal of suspension linkage that stated centerstand removal. MY BAD :warranty:

I started to remove my rear shock on my '94 I figured since I have redone the forks and she has 100k and I have a low mileage 4ht gen shock laying around why not. After removing the battery, rear fender, I read in the manual you need to remove the centerstand?? WTF My bike is up on my stand & supported by the centerstand......there looks like enough room to bring the shock out from the top....Am I missing something???

Thanks,

Gary

• Member Contributer

you don't have to remove the centerstand, Just remove tank, rear fairing (around seat) , battery etc, then loosen upper shock bolt and lower shock bolt and disconnect bolts that hold rear subframe in place. Use a bar under rear tire to tack pressure off lower shock bolt and remove lower bolt, then remove upper bolt and wiggle shock out through the top. Installation is the reverse.

• Member Contributer

I am in the same process now, these pics might help.

Remove the muffler, the rear wheel, the rear fairing, the battery, plastic sub-frame tray, the nut off the rear tank mount bolt (to move the coils to the side), then top bolt and bottom bolt, support the swing-arm with a jack.

post-21910-0-58931100-1396223560.jpg

post-21910-0-99749300-1396223578.jpg

post-21910-0-36670500-1396223656.jpg

I've always found it easier to drop the shocks out the bottom.

You have to remove the rear wheel, triangle plates, and dogbone link, then jack the swingarm UP as high as it will go, then undo the top nut and the shock will literally fall out of the bike.

• Member Contributer

Thank you for the replies!!

I did an Edit above: I realized that I was looking at removal of suspension linkage that stated centerstand removal. MY BAD :warranty:

New (clean low mileage) shock is bolted up, now I figure while she is undressed and on the stand, I will clean the carbs & plugs & run some new wires to my lighter & voltmeter.

Thanks again

• Member Contributer

and if you are worried you may scrape the fresh paint on the shock while slotting it in......

HPIM7005.jpg

Archived