Top Gear Leather Racing Suits?

joneill

• Member Contributer

Has anyone had experience with this vendor? I need some gear for track days but the prices here seem much lower than most, but the specs on the suits seem comparable. You know what they say "If it's too good to be true - it probably isn't"

http://www.topgearleather.com/motorcycle-racing-suits.html

• Member Contributer

I have zero experience with them. I have a feeling that whomever wrote their web page is not a native speaker. Don't know if that matters, but it may be worth noting. They say they have a 15 day return policy on non-custom suits, it may be worth it to make a phone call and if you get a warm fuzzy order a suit. Worst case, you'll be out $30 to ship it back.

I have never heard of them nor seen their gear at track days here in SoCal. Their warehouse is 4 miles from my office. If there is something specific you want to check out and they are ok with customer visits, I can drop by their office. Just let me know.

Roger

• Member Contributer

I have and I actually went to their warehouse and tried on a few suits and found for the most part they are on par with the Bilt and Sedici lines at Cycle Gear. I'll find the video I made reviewing one of the "less expensive" suits. ~$200. Their 'Perrini' line is probably the one you would want if you're looking for a track day/racing suit.

• Member Contributer

Here are videos (part 1&2) of a review I did of a Top Gear Leathers suit. In these videos I did a comparison to a known name brand suit, mostly so you can see the difference between a "quality" suit (Dainese Laguna Seca 2 piece) and a low priced suit (Top Gear Leathers 333bk 2 piece). Note that most of, if not all of these suits are made in Pakistan and some have more armor than others. I actually bought the least expensive suit so I could evaluate it and give my opinions on it as it is more likely to be the price range budget conscious buyers would be targeting.

I actually wore the suit a few times but I took out the knee armor and used my Bohn adventure pants underneath as it has way more protection coverage than this suit provides on its own. I also replaced the jacket armor with Aplinestars bio armor to see if it would feel better as I didn't like the way the original jacket armor sits. For the most part, if you really want the protection of leather and don't have much $, this may be a good stop gap until you can get something a little more substantial, but IMO, you might be better off getting a Sedici suit at Cycle Gear for just a little more $, as they have a lifetime warranty and CG stores are more abundant.

This is the TGL suit in the video: http://www.topgearleather.com/motorcycle-racing-riding-leathers-2pc-suit-118.html

Archived