Gen 4 Front Axle Spacer Size

Guest JimmyJim

Guest JimmyJim

Hi All,

I've looked and looked but can't find what I'm after. I've recently bought a 1995 VFR 750 that had the wrong forks on it so have purchased some new ones that are the correct ones for my bike.

However when mounting the front wheel the spacers don't seem correct. I measured the spacers I have and they are 21mm and 15mm. I put the 21mm one on the throttle side and the 15mm on the clutch side, but the clutch side disk was only about 1mm away from the fork. I figured this was too close, but threw the callipers on anyway. They were up against the disk, she was all wrong!

Just to check, I swapped them around and threw the wheel back on but that way the throttle side disk was hard against the fork.

Can anyone tell me what size in mm the spacers should be? I have a bloke near work that I can get to machine some for me, and while I can guess I figured best to ask so I don't have to go back to him if I get it wrong.

Cheers.

Oh boy, you might be onto something there. At the same time I put the forks on I got a new front tyre fitted at the local bike shop. To test out what you said, I just fitted the front wheel 'backwards' based on the direction the tyre is telling me to. It all bolts up OK! Saying that though, the throttle side disk is only about 1mm away from the fork, does that sound right? As I said it all seems to bolt up OK, but it just seems close to me. What do you think? Has my tyre been put on the wrong way possibly?

Hey V4 Rosso, I think the tyre is on the wrong way round. I just looked at the actual wheel itself and the spokes are leaning slightly backwards at top and slightly forwards at the bottom so the 'wheel' looks to be on correctly.

Thanks for your help there, it got my brain into gear. Changing forks I just assumed I had spacer trouble. But saying that, while still on topic does the throttle side disk sitting about 1mm from the fork sound OK?

Both the tire and wheel(spoke) have a directional mark (arrow) on them and they should point in the same direction of rotation. The discs do run close to the fork, only a two mm gap between the discs and fork on mine.

Ah, good man I never knew there were arrows on the rim. Funnily enough, it seems the tyre direction is correct as all arrows are going the same way. It's a continental road attack 2 and after a bit of googling, I'm not the first to get confused by the direction arrows on those tyres. When looking at the tread the tyre looks backwards but apparently that's by design.

Thanks again for your help mate, I think the problem's been solved. If anyone needs help, I'm able to get a front wheel off in a bout 3.5 seconds now having done it a dozen times tonight......

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

. If anyone needs help, I'm able to get a front wheel off in a bout 3.5 seconds now having done it a dozen times tonight......

Cheers.

Ok, now you have graduated, you can go for the next step in changing the font wheel.....

(saw this a a german tv show where people do all sorts of crazy stuff...)

• Member Contributer

. If anyone needs help, I'm able to get a front wheel off in a bout 3.5 seconds now having done it a dozen times tonight......

Cheers.

Ok, now you have graduated, you can go for the next step in changing the font wheel.....

(saw this a a german tv show where people do all sorts of crazy stuff...)

Man, European hobbies are weird...

Archived