Recommendation On Top Case Size For 6Th Gen?

vfrmike06

I've been planning a long trip across from the right coast to the left coast next year, and I'll need extra storage space for tools, supplies, etc., so I've started looking into a Givi top case as well.

The intention of the top case would be really to use it only on long trips. For around-the-city / day-to-day use, I've got the Givi V35's side cases on my 6th gen.

Since I'd only use the top case for long trips, it seems to make sense that I would buy the biggest top case I available (55L). I went to a local shop and put the 52L case on the bike, and while it's definitely big, it didn't look as ridiculous as I'd thought.

Are there any drawbacks to this approach? I've never ridden with a top case before, so I have no experience in this area. Is there such a thing as "too big" for a top case? I'm imagining it's possible that a case that's too big could make the bike too top heavy, affect steering, create a sail that catches too much wind, put too much stress on the rear mount brackets, etc.

Are there other things I should consider, or would drive me towards a smaller top case?

• Member Contributer

I've had unintentional wheelies with an E46 topcase combined with the V35 sidecases...

• Member Contributer

Is that part of the reason why people are going with Ken's solo top rack? for weight distribution reasons?

No they have a nice maple smell :goofy: .. i think it's because the quality of Ken's rack, that dont sound good .....

• Member Contributer

As big as you can IMHO. I use top case for commuting. It fits everything perfectly including occasional shopping and doesn't affect handling. Side cases may become an issue in tight spots.

• Member Contributer

I have the 46l Givi Blade trunk and love it. Full size to carry what I need w/o looking like a flying saucer is following me. I rarely have it on but leave the rack on for last minute needs. + my wife daughters like having something behind them when they come along.

Lunch time in Salida, CO

Archived