Leo Vince Oval Evo Ii On A 2006 With Stock Ecu?

vfrmike06

I'm considering getting a set of Leo Vince Oval EVO II slip-ons (likely aluminum, can't justify the $$ for carbon fiber). Does anyone have experience running these with the stock Honda ECU and map? Does baffle-in vs baffle-less make a difference to how the bike runs?

From what I've read on Revzilla and Leo Vince's site, it looks like they're set up to run with the stock ECU & map without any additional fuel commander, but I also know the bikes run lean from factory. Looking for advice on whether or not I really need an additional fuel manager or not. Thanks!

I can't comment on the running, as I've never owned a VTEC.

As for the material of choice, myself, I would get stainless over aluminum. I've had bikes with aluminum exhausts before and they were not very durable. Tarnished quickly and were vulnerable to nicks and scratches.

• Member Contributer

I installed the same Leo Vince exhaust on my 06 VFR and still had the low speed stumbling issue whether the baffles were in or out. It was not until I installed a Power Commander 5 and did the PAIR block that the problem went away. She now runs smooth up the powerband. PS, they are a great sounding system and after 2+ years still look like new.

When researching them this was the most accurate clip of their sound that I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_2wwLKHSHI&feature=related

I'm considering getting a set of Leo Vince Oval EVO II slip-ons (likely aluminum, can't justify the $$ for carbon fiber). Does anyone have experience running these with the stock Honda ECU and map? Does baffle-in vs baffle-less make a difference to how the bike runs?

From what I've read on Revzilla and Leo Vince's site, it looks like they're set up to run with the stock ECU & map without any additional fuel commander, but I also know the bikes run lean from factory. Looking for advice on whether or not I really need an additional fuel manager or not. Thanks!

I have this Leo on my '07 R/W/B w/25K miles. I swapped the pipes first and there was a noticeable improvement -- good performance kick, great sound, and no huge downside. I then tuned with the PCIII and flashed a map designed for the LeoVince. This gave me almost as much of a performance upgrade as the pipes themselves did.

So my 2 cents. . . its certainly doable on a stock ECU, but its worth re-flashing if you are able. Only other point to mention: Once you start opening up the fuel/air delivery on these puppies, all of Honda's EPA crap starts becoming more noticeable. Since my performance gains with exhaust and PCIII, I've removed the snorkel, disabled the flapper valve and PAIR valve -- all due to un-even power delivery. Bike runs much more smoothly now and its probably a good idea to look into those mods anyway.

Anywho, had the pipes on for well over 10K miles. No complaints, its a great system! Sound is to die for, but that is mostly the V4 talking :-)

• Member Contributer

I have the pipes you're looking at and also got them from Revzilla. I had a low speed stumble in performance prior to the pipes and it remained after the install so no change there - I'll still eventually fix that with the PC3 or 9 or 12 or whatever they're up to now. :rolleyes: However, the sound is just perfect for me. The LV comes with two different style baffles and I tried every combo you can with each in separately and together. I finally just left them all out. It is a nice low rumble w/o annoying my neighbors. A marked inprovement over the stock cans ... my friends use to tease me about riding a Singer sewing machine. Revzilla was great as well and I am hoping the UPS man has my new Olympia jacket today that I ordered from them last Thursday. Quick service and easy returns + Zilla-bucks always help out on your next purchase. My pipes gave me $25 off of my jacket!

A+ Leo Vince and A+ Revzilla.

• Member Contributer

BINGO! As expected, after my previous post, I hopped on my VFR and took a 50 mile spin to check out the fall colors and take a few pix to add to our calendar contest and when I arrived back home....my jacket from Revzilla was in my livingroom. Ordered Thursday night, free shipping and - $25 off the total and delivered on Monday. Thank you Revzilla!

Thanks for the replies, guys!

So from what I'm reading, am I correct that, at the very least, installing these slip-ons without changing anything else won't lead to burning up my engine or running too lean?

I'll likely try the pipes alone first, and wait for a PCIII/PCV to come up on the cheap.

I'm also a big fan of Revzilla - had nothing but great purchasing experiences with them. Early this year I was shopping for an intercom system and left a question on their site. Later that day, they actually called me directly to follow-up - I ended up ordering 4 sets for my friends as well!

vfrmike, I currently run two brothers on my 05 with not type of ECU changes or a PC and it is fine. I was looking at leo's or two brothers but fell in love with the sound of the two brothers. Post up a pic when you get em on!

I had kind of a bias opinion. My old 93 750 viffer had two brothers and I loved it on there. All the youtube videos I watched, hold the criticism, I just liked how much louder and deeper the two brothers sounded, at least that was my opinion. Performance wise, never tried the Leo's, but I will say that it seems like the new exhaust brought the bike more to life than the stockers.

• Member Contributer

One thing I didn't really consider when I swapped from stock pipes to the LV is the weight difference. Those twin stock cans/pipes would work great as a boat anchor. I didn't weigh either set but I would estimate the LV at less than half the weight of the stockers. Not sure about the 2 Bros. My final choices were the LV and 2 bros as well.

If one wanted to, and I believe someone on here that races the viffer,candyredvfr maybe, you could remove the left can with the two brothers and just use the right. At first this part of the two brothers bothered me, but I got my cans on a hell of a deal through motorcycle superstore at the time, made them just barely higher than the leo's I believe.

Yeah, I have to admit, the fact that it only uses one can bothers me, but I suppose once you get the pipe on and hear the sound, it doesn't matter. Have you found that you've needed to switch the left & right pipes up? Apparently, you can just swap left/right instead of having them re-packed, since you only use one at a time.

How much was it on Motorcycle Superstore at the time? Did you look into the 'stash' option?

I haven't seen any instances where they need to be switched. I guess if I got in a bad enough wreck to mess up the exhaust under the tail I could switch them then. I wasn't a fan of the stash option myself. I also could not find it for sale anywhere other than from two brothers at the time, might be different now. Given all of the options I considered, scorpion exhaust, 2bros, and leos, I went with 2 bros. They make a quality product, at least in my opinion from my 05 and the 93 I owned, I will be going with them again if I end up picking up another bike I am looking at. As for price, I don't remember the exact price I paid for them it wasn't above 600 though, I want to say around 550. I can hunt around and see if I still have my invoice.

Oh, it was motorcyclegear.com, formally newenough.com, not motorcycle superstore, my bad.

So I was chatting about this with a couple of buddies, and two points were raised about the 2 Bros system:

1) do the two cylinders end up being different colours, given one is actually in use and the other isn't? That might drive me crazy.

2) does it looks dumb when there's smoke coming out of only one pipe? =)

I do not notice any color differences on mine, been on there for a little more than 2000 miles now though, so things could change in 10,000 I suppose. As for the smoking from one pipe, never really noticed it smoking either, I did from stock but not so much from the 2bros.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived