Tired Of Waiting At Stop Lights?

mk2davis

• Member Contributer

I think we have a similar law in CA that says an MC rider can watch lights go through a cycle and if they aren't picking you up, proceed when it's safe.

From what I've been told, this is not the case. The MSF RiderCoach said there is no provision to "proceed when safe" against a red. This was a few years ago, and may have changed since.
You're probably right about the CA law. My memory probably elevated "practical" advice from the MSF coach to law. Magnet does "seem" to be working though (Was able to use 1 big one). Many thanks.

• Member Contributer

You're probably right about the CA law. My memory probably elevated "practical" advice from the MSF coach to law. Magnet does "seem" to be working though (Was able to use 1 big one). Many thanks.

I'm glad its working for you. I learn so much here, I'm happy to return the favor.

• Member Contributer

I can proceed "with due caution" after a complete stop in TN.

This AMA tool will tell you what your state laws are. This page is for TN. Scroll down and click on the map for your state.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Rights/State-Laws.aspx?stateid=42

I think we have a similar law in CA that says an MC rider can watch lights go through a cycle and if they aren't picking you up, proceed when it's safe.

From what I've been told, this is not the case. The MSF RiderCoach said there is no provision to "proceed when safe" against a red. This was a few years ago, and may have changed since.

I didn't see anything about traffic lights on the AMA site for CA, so I assume motorcycles must wait just like cages.

• Member Contributer

It's always been my understanding that, within the context of safe operation,(waiting for at least one signal cycle, not endangering other motorists, etc...), a motorcyclist could treat a non-triggering signal as malfunctioning and regard it as a 4-way stop.

I got pulled over by an officer after having done so with a left turn lane, explained the circumstance, at was simply told to be careful.

Obviously, there's a lot of subjectivity when an officer makes a judgement call, but if you haven't been reckless, I doubt most officers would ticket you.

After all, this is the kind of ticket most likely to be contested, most judges would let you off and the officer has to appear in court if the ticket is contested.

I carry a knapsack full of slightly off-spec cast iron frying pans ( 10" dia.) and toss one down when the lights won't change. Kinda hurts the gas mileage , but.......... I don't have to wait long.

J

Archived