Engine Won't Start Unless I Turn The Throttle Like 20 Times.

Guest MadDoggyDawg

Guest MadDoggyDawg

Hey guys, so I have a VFR 750 4th Gen '94. Today when I tried to start the bike up it wouldn't start, nothing would happen. I put some gas as I was already very low to almost nothing at all. I rode the bike to the gym. After like an hour and a half when I was getting ready to get home same thing happened. The bike wouldn't start even though I put some petrol inside. Again I thought maybe not enough gas but before I start pushing the bike to the nearest petrol station I also turned the throttle a couple of times and during the duration of my pushing this heavy girl to the petrol station I kept trying to start it. At some point it just started as I checked maybe it works, surprise it started. I didn't even try to stop it so I went straight to the petrol station. Got there filled up the tank, BANG, it won't start, then it came to my head to turn the throttle a few times with ignition on and off and after like 20 tries it started. I got home parked it nicely then switched off. My journey to home took about 10 minutes or less. I tried to start it up again, nothing... gave it petrol by turning the throttle for a long amount of time then it started and here I am.

Last night when I rode the bike home, well let's just say that I finished almost all the petrol. What do you guys think could cause this problem? Carburetor or maybe some petrol residue got inside the pipes and petrol doesn't go through? I am no mechanic so before I m going to take the bike to the garage would like to know your thoughts on this.

Also once the bike does start it runs as usual, no weird sounds, throttle is responsive just as I would usually ride the bike.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

If you are running the tank dry, your fuel filter might be clogged if you had some sediment in the bottom of the tank.

Are you running the bike with the choke on? The plugs might be fouled from giving it all that gas.

Lots of different things could be going on, and it's not something that can easily be diagnosed over the internet.

Well it was almost dry so yeah I have a feeling that the filter might have gotten clogged up with petrol residue. Will take it to the garage tomorrow. Do you know where the filter is located? Is it under the tank?

• Member Contributer

Exactly. Yoshi is correct. It could be any number of things, although the fuel delivery system is the likely suspect. Here's what comes to mind:

- clogged fuel filter

- weak fuel pump

- dirty idle jets or otherwise crudded-up carburetors

If you are not mehanically inclined, you need to either become mechanically inclined, or find a buddy who is, or take it to the shop... :)

Edit: the fuel filter is behind the left side panel, below the tank, but accessible without having to remove the tank. Although you would need to lift up the tank a bit to shut off the valve when you change the filter, unless you are really quick about it...

• Member Contributer

Hello gekke hond ;-)

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond.

The full maintenance manual for the 1990-1997 vfr can be downloaded from the files/downloads section.

So guess what guys, I have cleaned the fuel pump yesterday and the bike did not start... thought it was one of the other thing you guys said. I left the bike so I thought to give it a try to start it up this morning... started without any problems.

I guess you mean fuel filter? Well perhaps that's all that needed to be done although it would do no harm to run a bit of Redex carb cleaner through the system to try keep the carbs clean. It's the red stuff you can get at Halfords or most motor factors and adds to the fuel in the tank. I'm not convinced it works but it does no harm and might save your ass next time!

Also, and this is pretty easy, next time you have some time on your hands, take the tank off. First take the seat off, unpop the plastic side panels by the seat from their lugs in the tank and then unbolt the tank,lift it up and take the hoses off (make sure furl tap is off hahaha!) and then give your air filter a check. If it looks dirty put a new one in, it'll save you on fuel money. Before you drop the new one in get a spray can of carb cleaner (Halfords again or your motorbike shop etc) and spray a ton of it down those trumpets you see when you take the filter out. Even better, run the engine and spray it down them and make sure to rev it hard as you do. That way the stuff gets sucked into the carbs directly and cleans the muck out. Or as much as possible without dismantling them anyway.

The workshop manual, or a Haynes manual, will guide you through it but if I can do it anyone can! Give yourself an hour to do it with loads of tea :)

Archived