Thinking Of Trading Fjr Ae For V12

Auron

I've talked a lot of shit about the V12 but I just can't connect with my FJR, it's just too massive and seems like overkill. The good news is that my experience with a clutchless shifting bike, I know now I can live without it and the weight/handling difference between an FJR1300AE and standard VFR1200 should be significant. Before, I would have forced myself to get a DCT and therefore a 2012 since I wouldn't put up with the 1st and 2nd issue. Now I can get away with a 2010 and re-flash.

Soooo, will I be happy? I wasn't blown away with the test ride I took, but I'm also never happy until I change the suspension and steering geometry. Since I would be doing this to get a smaller, lighter bike, does anyone know what the VFR weights wet?

• Member Contributer

Once the thing starts moving you couldn't even tell the weight bro. I loathe pushing it into the garage but when riding I can't even tell it weighs that much. Like you I had all sorts of reservations. At $10k, and a couple of rides you'll know it's right. As you already know, it will need suspension work. My plans for that are pretty involved but when done it's going to an absolute MF'er. I'm planning to flash the ECU as well.

I was in the same boat as you. I purchased an FJR with the hopes of doing some longer distance riding. I liked the FJR, but it just didn't have that excitement factor. I always hoped it would grow on me... but it didn't.

When I saw the VFR1200, it was love at first sight. On paper it was the same specs that drove me towards the FJR. 1200cc motor (V-4 BONUS!), shaft drive, discrete saddlebag mounting points, and it was a HONDA!

I wound up with the VFR out of dumb luck. I walked into the dealer that still had a new 2010 (listed on cycletrader for $14k) just to take a rest ride. The old lady gave me the go-ahead to trade in the FJR since I was never happy with it. The dealer had to go FIND the bike stored out in their warehouse... the bike had little to no interest and they weren't wasting floor space with it. After the test ride, I knew I had to have it. When that exhaust valve opens up I was provided with instant gratification (gigidy) and a huge smile on my face. The icing on the cake is the dealer REALLY wanted to get rid of the bike since they were paying interest on the bike... OTD price was under $10k.

I've never looked back. The VFR1200 could use some refinements, but it's like dating a stripper. She might have some daddy issues, but she always puts a smile on your face.

• Member Contributer

I love mine too... Had two 6th gens, and they don't compare to the new 1200. My only issue so far is the ECU mapping but that will soon be fixed too. Just like Luvtoleanit said.

I had an '07 FJR, put 34,000 miles on it in 20 months. One of my all time favorite bikes.....because it was sportier than the ST, cheap maintenance, etc.

It's in my top five.

So is bike #61, the VFR12. Like was said above, it hides it weight better than almost anything I've ridden.

It's not light, but it doesn't feel heavy. I didn't think the FJR was a pig though, and I come from a sportbike background. It did fine hustling around the backroads.

The VFR doesn't have the range the FJR did, but it's not bad...I have a real 225 mile range and that's liveable with me.

I put just under 8,000 miles on it in the first two months - it's the kind of bike you just want to get on and ride.

My only suggestion - go for a deal on a leftover 2012.....the changes are worth it.

I am a FJR owner (08 & previously a 05). Both Yamahas have been reliable decent handling bikes that had all the necessary basic equipment for sport touring.

I loved the looks & innovation of the VFR12 in 2010 when it came out. the pricing however was ridiculious when you compared it to it's competition. That was the second issue (what was honda competing with). The VFR12 was (is) not a direct competitor in the sport touring market or the sport bike segment. It should have come standard with at a minimum detachable hard bags and a adjustable wind screen to compete against the FJR, the Concours, and a host of BMW models. Every honda dealer I have talked to about this bike say they can't sell it because it is overpriced & under equipped to compete in the sport touring segment and to slow & heavy to compete as a sportbike. The two honda dealers in my area didn't order any VFR's after most of the 2010's sat on their floors for over two years.

I don't say any of these things because I don't like Honda. I currently own three Honda products (car, motor scooter & a generator). Over half of the 53 motorcycles I have owned since 1965 have been Honda's.

Having had my rant (are you listening Honda) I am still thinking about buying one, either used or a new 2012 standard model. Given the stiff competition though the only way I am buying one is at a steep discount to cover all the expense to make it into a decent sport touring bike not to mention the poor resale value especially for those that paid close to MSRP prices in 2010.

John

FJR has some very loyal devotees and is arguably one of the sportiest STs that is actually a sport TOURER. That is IMO not what the VFR1200 is. The Viffer lives in the nether region between sportbikes and sport tourers. This identity crisis is (partly) why it doesn't sell well and the source of most of its criticisms. But for folks like me that want a gentleman's sportbike that can do long day rides and short tours thru twisty backroads occasionally, it is just right. I've had the FJR's closest rival - the C14 - and it was too big, too heavy, and too much of a tourer. FJR tills a bit farther towards the sport side but still stays pretty much on the traditional ST formula. I test rode an '07 and later the newest '13 FJR. I took it easy on the '07 since it was somebody else's bike, but I did carve me some corners with the factory demo '13. At 6/10th pace and up is where the differences show up. Bikes like the VFR1200 and Sprint ST felt very composed at that pace, whereas the FJR's legs starts to feel a bit wobbly. Not in a dangerous way, but enough to remind me I'm on a sport TOURER and best to back off the go juice a little.

In the end, it's not about which is the better bike. They are both excellent machines. All depends on what you want to do and how you intend to ride it.

This is an interesting topic to me because I was thinking about upgrading my 5th gen to either a leftover 12 VFR (manual) or a 13 FJR next year........Wish I could ride a VFR1200, lol

• Member Contributer

FJR has some very loyal devotees and is arguably one of the sportiest STs that is actually a sport TOURER. That is IMO not what the VFR1200 is. The Viffer lives in the nether region between sportbikes and sport tourers. This identity crisis is (partly) why it doesn't sell well and the source of most of its criticisms. But for folks like me that want a gentleman's sportbike that can do long day rides and short tours thru twisty backroads occasionally, it is just right. I've had the FJR's closest rival - the C14 - and it was too big, too heavy, and too much of a tourer. FJR tills a bit farther towards the sport side but still stays pretty much on the traditional ST formula. I test rode an '07 and later the newest '13 FJR. I took it easy on the '07 since it was somebody else's bike, but I did carve me some corners with the factory demo '13. At 6/10th pace and up is where the differences show up. Bikes like the VFR1200 and Sprint ST felt very composed at that pace, whereas the FJR's legs starts to feel a bit wobbly. Not in a dangerous way, but enough to remind me I'm on a sport TOURER and best to back off the go juice a little.

In the end, it's not about which is the better bike. They are both excellent machines. All depends on what you want to do and how you intend to ride it.

That's pretty dead on. To me the 1200 is just a big, comfortable, sportbike. The lean angles I've been pulling (everything but putting a knee down) are outstanding. You can ride the thing all day in comfort due to the riding position. It's a pretty damn good bike.

Good reply. I especially agree with the comment on the Concours. I own a 2012 ZX14R and you got to love the motor. The Connie is another kettle of fish, to big & to heavy. The FJR has also gained 50 pounds since the first generation bike (03 thru 05). The new 2013 FJR has a wet weight of 637 pounds. I took a dealer factory demo ride on a new FJR this summer. It was so restrictive that the Yamaha reps who rode with us told the group before leaving the dealer parking lot that any rider who violated the speed limit or any of the other miriad restrictions would be left standing by the side of the road and better have a cell phone to call for a ride. We never exceeded 55 MPH and I have no idea if the new FJR is a better bike than my 08. I didn't buy another one despite a offer from my dealer of a $3000.00 discount.

A couple weeks back I rode 3200 miles in 7 days on the VFR. It may not be a 'touring' bike, but comfortable enough do put on a respectable about of daily miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

According to Motorcyclist mag's 4/13 comparo:

'13 C14: (tankful/empty) 690/655 lbs

'13 FJR: (tankful/empty) 668/628 lbs

A difference of 22-27 lbs. The FJR really isn't as lightweight as a lot of folks make it out to be. The test rides I did confirmed this, at least to me.

In the C14's defense, it was only heavy to me because zooming across 16 states in 3wks isn't in my flight plan any time soon. For single (albeit long) day rides and short (2-3 days) tours, which is all I can afford to be away from the family right now, the C14 was simply the wrong tool. Otherwise, on extended Xcountry tours, the wind protection, long haul comfort and touring amenities would be worth every ounce of the added poundage. As I said, no bad machines, just different compromises.

If a guy isn't bothered by some of "compromises" made by the VFR1200's sportbike genes, he could tour the heck out of it. As a matter of fact, a friend of mine toured all 4 corners of the USA on his ol' R1150R- with nothing but a bikini fairing on it. As I type this, he is on a trip to Alaska on a brand new '13 Bonneville Steve McQueen, decked out with hard panniers... and a bikini fairing.

Compared to him, I plain over-analyze the crap out of what I ride... and why I ride. I admire his "nahh... that ain't far, let's ride!"

But the Frasier and Niles Crane in me just won't quit. :wink:

I'd agree that my FJR is a monster no matter what you are doing with it.

Kind of off topic but what kind if RPM's you guys running at 75mph? FJR is smooth and I wasn't one of those that complained about a 6th gear but I wish 5th was taller, it always seem to make the bike run harder than it needed to for an ST bike.

I'd agree that my FJR is a monster no matter what you are doing with it.

Kind of off topic but what kind if RPM's you guys running at 75mph? FJR is smooth and I wasn't one of those that complained about a 6th gear but I wish 5th was taller, it always seem to make the bike run harder than it needed to for an ST bike.

My 08 is turning about 3850 RPM's in 5th gear at 75 MPH. The 05 FJR I owned was turning 4200 RPM's in 5th at 75 MPH. The engine is tuned for TQ not max HP. My 08 peaks at 128 HP at 7850 RPM on the dyno. It redlines at 9000 RPM but shifting at anything much over 8000 is a waste. I like 5th gear the way it is. You can surf the broad TQ curve without shifting that much while maintaining a decent pace on backroads. If anything I would like to see Yamaha add a 6th gear and leave 1st thru 5th gearing as is.

I like the FJR but I am ready to move on. possibly to the VFR12 or a K1300 BMW.

• Member Contributer

Well I have owned both the FJR1300 [2008] VFR1200F [2011] the FJR1300 is a great bike, 250+ miles out of a tank of fuel, but the down side to this is how top heavy the FJR feels when it is full of fuel, but that is the only complaint I had with the FJR1300. The VFR1200 is similar in weight, but when the tank is full of fuel, you can't feel any difference in weight whether the tank is full or empty, the handling on the VFR1200F is in a different leage to the FJR1300, and the brakes on the VFR1200 are far better, not that there is anything wrong with the brakes on the FJR, engine wise, again the VFR1200 wins, a lot more power, and a lot quicker than the FJR1300. Luggage wise, if they both bikes had full luggage the FJR1300 wins on that one, hope this helps, Dave.

0142_zps84c935da.jpg

018.jpg

00117_zpsbd96de98.jpg

• Member Contributer
:smile:

I was actually wondering what kind of RPM's at 75 on the VFR

Not a speed I cruise at, I will take notice over the weekend and let you know. :smile:

Sorry I didn't understand what you wanted. I don't have a VFR 12 but the online gearing commander website has the VFR 12 in its database. According to this website the VFR 12 is turning 4405 RPM in 6th gear at 75 MPH. At 90 MPH in 6th gear the bike is turning 5338 RPM.

If you have never used the gearing commander website it is really useful, especially if you drag race, road race race or are just curious. The website has stock gearing data on over 900 motorcycles. It also allows you to change gearing and see the effects. If you are a tech head you can spend a lot of time trying different gear combinations and seeing how they effect RPM's, speed in each gear.

According to this website the VFR 12 is turning 4405 RPM in 6th gear at 75 MPH. At 90 MPH in 6th gear the bike is turning 5338 RPM.

That's about what I'm getting, smooth as it can be in that range.

Oops, my bad... I was wondering to myself why the big spread between 75 and 85mph. I just glance at the dash briefly and saw it was at just above the 1/4 division mark. Must've been above 4, when I thought it was 3.

Archived