Thinking Of Trading Fjr Ae For V12

Auron

I DONT KNOW BUT I LIKE MY RPM TO STAY OVER 4 GRAND ALL THE TIME I TAKE ADVANTAGE OF AVAILABLE POWER AT ALL TIMES I LIKE TO RIDE HARD MY DCT IS ALMOST ALL THE TIME AT 4TH SOMETIMES 5 GEAR AT 75MPH AND EVEN WHEN IN AUTO SPORT IT WON'T HIT 6TH UNTIL IS OVER 82 86 MPH AND STILL RETURN 37 MPG AND BY THE WAY IS SAFER TO USE THE M/T MODE AT LOWER SPEEDS LIKE AROUND TOWN THAT WAY IT WON'T GO INTO UNDESIRED GEAR

I have several questions someone here may be able to answer.

1. Is the new VFR with traction control still restricted in 1st & 2nd gear (other than by traction control)?

2. When fitting a slip on (Akrapovic ot 2 brothers) does the bike have to have a Power Commander or Bazzaz unit to realize some power gain? I realise it would be optimal to adjust the stock feuling but I want to know how the bike responds to the exhaust change with the stock ECU fuel maps.

• Member Contributer

I DONT KNOW BUT I LIKE MY RPM TO STAY OVER 4 GRAND ALL THE TIME I TAKE ADVANTAGE OF AVAILABLE POWER AT ALL TIMES I LIKE TO RIDE HARD MY DCT IS ALMOST ALL THE TIME AT 4TH SOMETIMES 5 GEAR AT 75MPH AND EVEN WHEN IN AUTO SPORT IT WON'T HIT 6TH UNTIL IS OVER 82 86 MPH AND STILL RETURN 37 MPG AND BY THE WAY IS SAFER TO USE THE M/T MODE AT LOWER SPEEDS LIKE AROUND TOWN THAT WAY IT WON'T GO INTO UNDESIRED GEAR

Dude, please don't take this the wrong way, but I can see you are new to the forum. You may be new to online forums in general or not, but when you use ALL CAPS, it is conventionally understood that you are YELLING! Lighten up and use some lowercase... Glad you are enjoying your VFR1200 and welcome to the fray...

@ dynajohn...thanks for the heads up on gearingcommander.com . That is pretty cool, however I don't agree with their database on my CB1000R stock gearing mph @ specific RPMs (although they are using a 2008 model and mine is a 2011).

• Member Contributer

Dyna Jon....

Check my other posts. I have Dyno sheets with a PC5.... 157 at the rear wheel. I also added a BZAAZ inhibitor ECU plug for the 1st and 2nd issues. Big difference from stock....the traction control is a separate system from the 1st and 2nd gear limits.....haven't really noticed the TC, ABS is a different story, especially when pushing it hard.....

dynajohn...thanks for the heads up on gearingcommander.com . That is pretty cool, however I don't agree with their database on my CB1000R stock gearing mph @ specific RPMs (although they are using a 2008 model and mine is a 2011).

You have two choices.

1. You can submit the correct gearing information for a 2011 CB1000R and add it to the gearing commander database. The site is free but I believe you have to be a contributing supporter to submit a new bike to the database.

2. You can input the correct gearing information under one of the two alternate gearing choices for the 2008 model.

3. I don't know how far off what you are seeing on your 2011 and the gearing commander data on the 2008 bike is but it could be caused by multiple possibalities. The gearing for the 2008 & 2011 bikes may be different or the gearing data was submitted incorrectly for the 2008. The gearing commander uses math models to compute MPH at RPM in each gear based on the site stored gear ratios and tire size for the bike and if they are correct the only variable would be, (assuming your bike has stock gearing and a rear tire with the same circumfence as the one entered in the database), rear tire wear and the slight rear tire circumfence growth at very high speeds. Also remember most Japanese bike speedometers and particularly tachometers are optimistic (read high).

I raced a 2012 ZX12R the summer of 2012 before they had the base gearing in the gearing commander database. I simply used the two alternate gearing choices for the 2006 ZX14R to get the information I wanted. When combined with good dyno information on where the power peaks I was able to use the graph onsite that shows the RPM drop at each gear shift to optimize shift points.

Ok I made the decision and ordered a 2013 VFR 1200 today. traded in the 08 FJR and got a decent price. There were only 2 2013 models in the Honda warehouse system as of today and not a single new one of any year at any Honda dealer in the midwest region. First mod will be Akrapovic high mount carbon fibre slip on. Second & third mod will be either a PC 5 and a Bazzaz de-restrictor for 1st & 2nd gear or a re-programmed ECU. Probably stick with the PC5 as i have a lot of experience on my other bikes with these.

Congrats on the new ride. Will report back after I get the ECU flashed... Was thinking of riding down to LA and have them Flash and Dyno at the same time... :wink:

I hope you are going to do the reflash this fall. If this turns out as well as the ECU reflash that Guhl Performance did on my ZX-14 I will go that direction instead of the PC. Look forward to see how the dyno numbers compare to similar VFR's with Bazzaz or PC modules. Particularly would like to see if they get rid of the 1st & 2nd gear limitation and the top speed limiter. Don't know where the stock rev limiter is set but that may benefit from being bumped 3 to 4 hundred RPM's. All dependent on what your dyno sheets look like. :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

They say they can eliminate the 1st and 2nd gear limitations as well as the speed limitations and tune for the "Dam Exhaust too" :goofy: Just love saying that... "Dam"

Please PM me the contact info you are using. I'm sending mine in at the end of the month.

They say they can eliminate the 1st and 2nd gear limitations as well as the speed limitations and tune for the "Dam Exhaust too" :goofy: Just love saying that... "Dam"

Please PM me the contact info you are using. I'm sending mine in at the end of the month.

I would appreciate the same contact information by PM crazybrother.

My bike is 2 weeks out for delivery to dealer. Ordered Heli bars yesterday and they will be here Monday. Ordered Akrapovic high mount carbon pipe today. Unfortunately it will be about 5 weeks to deliver. Ordered Bazzaz Z bomb today, delivery 1 week. The Z Bomb is a cheap fix for 1st & 2nd gear. This will give me a chance to make changes in stages to evaluate how each affects the bike. I am going to wait and see how crazybrother likes the ECU re-flash before deciding whether to use a PC or re-flash the ECU. :cool:

Archived