Throttle Cable?

Guest VF500FInterceptor

Guest VF500FInterceptor

Ok so I pulled apart my carbs and it looks like my throttle cables were about to snap. Called 3 of the local dealers that are Honda and turns out they can no longer order them in. Where is the best place to order new cables? Is there a way to cross reference the part numbers? Or can I use a throttle cable repair kit and just make my own? Like one of these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-MOTORCYCLE-EMERGENCY-THROTTLE-CABLE-REPAIR-KIT-for-HONDA-Models-/121034216385?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1986%7CModel%3AVF500F&hash=item1c2e3393c1&vxp=mtr

Soo.. I didn't really want to spend $40 on used cables so instead I went to home depot, and bought some cable. Made my own barrels for the end and it works great! :cheerleader:

post-25987-0-37576900-1377025664.jpg I used regular small cable clamps. I took one, chopped it in half, then took that half and chopped it to the correct size to match the barrel. Drilled a hole in the side for the cable and then clamped it down on the cable. I also made sure the smooth all of the edges before doing so. Oh and I just put the cable in the old line.

I bought some lube and then forgot to use it so I will do that next. :) and as far as the solder goes we pulled extremely hard on it and it didn't budge. I don't think it is going anywhere. It seemed to work very well.

I don't know if anyone is interested in this or not but before I build my cable I ordered something off Amazon to try it. I forgot to cancel it so I ended up purchasing them. Here is a kit to make your own Throttle cable, and it is actually pretty cool.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YEYN6A/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

From the looks of it I would definitely use it in the future.

Archived