Long Term Storage

joneill

• Member Contributer

Not sure this the right forum but...

I need to store a 99 VFR for a year or more. This is what I am planning to do

1) Change the oil and filter

2) Lube the chain - recommendations for oil and weight to prevent rust would be appreciated. I have had some rust issues in storage using gear oil and chain wax.

3) Fill the gas tank and add marine stabile. We have ethanol here. I am planning to keep the fuel in the MC for a year.

4) Put the VFR on the center stand and jack up the VFR and lift the front wheel off the ground. This would also unload the suspension.

5) Plug the exhaust with a rag.

6) Leave the intake open. I will have to open the air box and check the filter before starting again when it comes out of storage

7) Wash and wax

8) Leave the battery installed and on a battery tender.

9) Cover with a breathable MC cover.

It will be stored in a dry, unheated garage. I haven't had any rodent problems in the past.

Any thoughts.

looks like you have it covered there with your list. I stored my 99 for over a year twice doing similar steps to what you are planning to do.

I didn't change the oil and filter before storing, only when getting it out of storage.

I didn't bother with any extra lube for the chain either.

I also didn't use "marine stabile" whatever that is, I just filled the tank then added a cup of metho - the metho will absorbe any water. Then I drained the tank when getting it out of storage.and used the old fuel in a mower.

Bike had no probs when getting it out of storage.

The stuff you listed shold be enough to keep the bike in good condition. 1 year isn't really that long. It after something like 2 years that things seem to start going wonky on bikes when they are in deep storage. I still remember getting my Honda Hawk to me in CA after tow years of storage in my brother's garage. I did pretty much most of the things everyone says to do before storing it..Everything seemed fine when I got it off the trailer, but hell, it took quite a while for me to get it to start, even with a new battery and fresh fuel. It finally cleared its throat and started after a whole day of fiddling around and I replace the plugs which got all fouled up when I first tried to start it. I guess I was lucky It only had two cylinders...

• Member Contributer

looks like you have it covered there with your list. I stored my 99 for over a year twice doing similar steps to what you are planning to do.

I didn't change the oil and filter before storing, only when getting it out of storage.

I didn't bother with any extra lube for the chain either.

I also didn't use "marine stabile" whatever that is, I just filled the tank then added a cup of metho - the metho will absorbe any water. Then I drained the tank when getting it out of storage.and used the old fuel in a mower.

Bike had no probs when getting it out of storage.

Thanks

"Marine Stable is a fuel stabilizer. The "marine" is in as for boats, not some armed forces :)

It is supposed to work better with our 10% ethanol gasoline. Ethanol has been particularly problematic for boats since they sit in a very humid environment and the alcohol tends to absorb water and lead to corrosion in the fuels syste

The stuff you listed shold be enough to keep the bike in good condition. 1 year isn't really that long. It after something like 2 years that things seem to start going wonky on bikes when they are in deep storage. I still remember getting my Honda Hawk to me in CA after tow years of storage in my brother's garage. I did pretty much most of the things everyone says to do before storing it..Everything seemed fine when I got it off the trailer, but hell, it took quite a while for me to get it to start, even with a new battery and fresh fuel. It finally cleared its throat and started after a whole day of fiddling around and I replace the plugs which got all fouled up when I first tried to start it. I guess I was lucky It only had two cylinders...

I hope the fuel injection on the VFR makes it easier to start than the carbs on the Hawk. Thanks for the feedback

Archived