Slotted Needles... Oem?

Guest ArizonaRC36

Guest ArizonaRC36

Couple months back, picked up a nice set of carbs (49 state) to replace the Cali carbs I had plaguing issues with.
When cleaning this new set of carbs... I noticed the needles had slots when the Cali carb ones didn't. I assume the slotted needles are in fact, OEM? They look identical, with the exception of the notches for adjustment.

• Member Contributer

pics? What do you mean by slots? I know that different kits have various tapers, and some have the grooves to adjust the height, but never seen slots.

pics? What do you mean by slots? I know that different kits have various tapers, and some have the grooves to adjust the height, but never seen slots.

Sorry, the notches for adjusting the needle high with the c-clip.

The carb was stock jetting when it arrived.

• Member Contributer

Oh, yeah. My factory pro kit had those. I'm 90% sure they are not OEM. I would check, but I can't get the latter down to the attic right now.

Oh, yeah. My factory pro kit had those. I'm 90% sure they are not OEM. I would check, but I can't get the latter down to the attic right now.

Gotcha...

Wonder why the carbs retained the stock jetting... but they tossed in those types of needles. Even his bike has the stock exhaust. :D

because they come lean, lean lean. Maybe somebody fixed it with a needle raising plan. what notch wes the clip in ( 1 being closer to the taper and 5 being at the top)

because they come lean, lean lean. Maybe somebody fixed it with a needle raising plan. what notch wes the clip in ( 1 being closer to the taper and 5 being at the top)

It was right in the middle, 3rd notch

• Member Contributer

How does it run? I think the FP tune sheet gave a setup with a slip on at the second one. Not saying that's where it's should be or anything, just where they had theirs.

Sounds like a similar mod/fix that the Ninja 250R guys use, of adding washers to the stock needles. I guess your guy (or someone before him) thought it was too lean at lower RPM and installed adjustable needles.

Archived