Bluetooth Helmets

njcop

• Member Contributer

Anyone got one? Had one? Reviews? While looking at the post Timmythecop put out about helmet deals I started looking through other sites for Bluetooth helmets. Are they any good or waste of money?

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I just bought an interphone f3xt and love it. You don't need to buy a special helmet. The speakers are slim line and fit into any helmet.

It does Bluetooth stereo, intercom and phone. It was $299 Australian so pretty similar in USD.

I've just ordered for our work quadbikes the SENA intercom units which apparently are not as good but have the ability to connect to our work radios.

I recently bought a Nolan N104 Modular helmet and their Ncom B4 bluetooth set up and I absolutely love it. It installs in the helmet in minutes and does not have anything hanging off of it. The radio works well too. It's a good helmet with a bit more wind noise than my Shoei RF1000 but its got an enormous field of view and aerodynamically it is designed well and has zero buffeting. The bluetooth works fanatstic and I love riding with it :)

• Member Contributer

My wife and I both had Schuberth C3 helmets with the built in SRC - bluetooth system made by Cardo for the helmets.System works great and we had been using since last July. This year we decided to move my wife to a new helmet as the fit of the Schuberth did not suit her. A bad pressure point on her forehead kept creating headaches after 40 minutes of wear. We switched her to a new Shoei Neotec Borealis helmet while on the summer road trip and it solved the problem. What worried us was losing communication but we got around that when we also bought the Scala Rider G9 communication system which is also made by Cardo. I installed the Scala on her new helmet and it synced up with no fuss to the SRC system on my Schuberth. Not being able to converse and talk about sites we see or traffic around us is a non starter so this solution worked out great. The Scala G9 comes in a package of two so when I go to a new helmet I'll just use that one on the new lid.

I have a second generation Dainese D-Air with the Bluetooth linkup. I bought it used but was able to swap the old round charging port for a USB one so i can charge it almost anywhere. It has headphones but also speakers and you can cross-link to other dainese helmets if you do 2-up.

I dont listen to music but it's great for phone calls. If you're shopping around, make sure it'll do both music and telephone calls if you need both.

• Member Contributer

I have Scala G9's (four of them) on the heels of 4 Scala G4's and coming off of three AutoComm systems.

I regret buying the Scala units because it appears that no one who works there actually rides motorcycles (kind of like Garmin with regards to their "motorcycle" friendly gps units).

The Scala units are difficult to re-connect when a connection is dropped, no matter what I say at least once an hour the headset says to "Radio on". I never want the radio on. There is no feature in the setup to disable this command. When I am riding I am seldom in range of a radio station for more than 30 minutes and I don't want to use the presets that can be manually manipulated by attaching the Scala to your computer.

Once in while, all of the G9s connect and everything is great, we are all able to converse, educate the younger riders and give a heads up on gas stops, LEOs or bathroom requests.

I was so looking forward to cutting the AutoComm cord and going blue tooth - 3 years ago. Now almost $2,000 later (I have replaced several of the base mounting units post warranty because Scala uses the crappiest speakers known to man and the right one seems to fail within 12-15 hours of the warranty expiration) I am wishing I had tried another brand (other than the chatterbox which were even worse).

Other than that I am left scratching my head over the wasted opportunity of this technology. Sounds like most everyone else on this thread like the direction they went.

• Member Contributer

Try Sena next time CC...they seem to pretty durable and reliable. I can't speak for the multiple headset connections though...

• Member Contributer

Two Sena SMH10s here and they're clear as a bell on my old Shoei and new HJC full-face helemts. Bluetooth paired to phone, intercom to other riders -- what's not to like?

I've got a couple of Vega V-Tunes that I picked up on clearance.. They are noisy and the music quality leaves a little to be desired, but the phone integration and the H2H communication work really well with good volume and clarity. For a cheap helmet they work pretty darn well. The V-Tune was replaced by the V-Comm.

I have the Scala q2 got them on motorcycle superstore for like 50% off and for the money i like them, there are a few annoyances but a couple months in and I enjoy them. Biggest complaint is that while i have adequte radio volume my spoken dial commands are met with the confirmation voice talking back to me in a much quieter voice even when the volume is up which makes confirming that it got the right voice dial on the phone next to impossible on the freeway.

Archived