So I'm In The Market For A New Battery,...i Think....

Beck

Well, Great News!!.... She started like a champ this evening! No signs of weakness or hesitation (No hydrolock-like symptoms at all!) from the starter and the motor catches right away on the first press of the starter button! :beer: Started it a few times before the engine warmed up and always the same great results for each!

Which leads me to conclude that the problem was bad grounds! It must have been the last ground I tightened up under the fairing. The main ground bolt on the left side of the bike at the front left cylinder. ALL I can say is, after I tightened the ground bolt (and it didn't feel that loose) all the bad symptoms went away and now the engine even idles smoother than I can remember, and the firing pulses from the end of the muffler seems to be more powerful too.

So the lesson for me with this episode of bad running from my bike is, next time it happens, I will check ALL the grounds first! It really scared me cause I thought it could be something worse, the way the engine was misfiring, spitting and popping that last time it has a hard time starting.......

My theory of what happened with that ground is it being right on the engine cylinder, it was subjected to a lot of heating and ooling cycles which could eventually tight the ground bolt stayed on the engine cylinder and maybe also promoted some flash corrosion between the contact surfaces affecting the quality of the grounding.

So, for now, I think I dodged the battery replacement bullet. But I will still consider getting an Li battery in the near future when I can better afford it, just for the weight savings and the better charge maintenance they offer.

I'll be giving the bike a nice extended test drive tomorrow to make sure everything is holding OK on the bike. At least now, I won't be to afraid to take it farther away from home.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! :fing02:

Beck

95 VFR

Archived