3Rd Gen Carb Balance Specs

mk2davis

• Member Contributer

I'm going to put on the vacuum ports onto my 3rd gen, but I don't know what the balance screws setting is supposed to be from the factory. The digital manual says to refer to the common manual, but I can't seem to find it. I'll see what my starting point is, and how far off the slave carbs are to my base carb (#2). If you guys know what the base is supposed to be set to, please let me know. I seem to remember 2.5 turns out, but I could be making that up.

Thanks.

Are you talking about the idle mixture screws on the carbs? A good starting point is 2 1/2 turns out . You would then need to balance the carbs using the adjustment screws on the linkage to balance the 3 carbs to the base carbs. All 4 carbs have idle mixture screws. The base carb is not adjustable as far as balancing goes as that is done by the idle stop screw. The 3 other carbs are then adjusted for airflow to the base carb.

• Member Contributer

I have a Honda Common Service Manual I'll see if I can find what your looking for...

• Member Contributer

Got it, thanks K. That looked apparent when I opened things up.

Bonus, thanks D.

I can see the two screws for the rear bank, but it looks like I got vacuum lines running to the fronts. I'm guessing that is for the PAIR? I was planning on just disconnecting and blocking them off, using that port for balance.

• Member Contributer

So the question I have, do you have the chicken or the egg? As this is all I could find in the HCSM regarding carburetor synchronization

"NOTE: Specific instructions for throttle valve synchronization adjustment are given in the applicable shop manuals"

Although I have to say that it does cover fuel system principles pretty well just not anything on the default screw turn settings. So I'm not sure what your manual considers the "common manual" as it does not appear to be the Honda Common Service Manual I have. Sorry I wish I could tell you more but that's all I got.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

You are talking about balancing the carbs, right? There should be a port on each cylinder just below the carbs just for this. And if I remember right, you balance for them all to be equal.

Then you have three screws on the carbs to adjust the balance, with Cyl #1 as reference.

• Member Contributer

thanks all. As long as I can keep the water in my balancer out of the engine, I can get it close. Thanks.

• Member Contributer

What I've figured out is that if you have two 20 oz containers, and split 15 oz between them, you won't have any issues. Even if all the fluid transfers over, it's still only 3/4 full. My 4 cylinder was wildly off. So much so my bike wouldn't hold idle afterward. She smells less like gas, on throttle transitions are smoother, and she seems more reactive. I'd call that a win.

And yes, I was thinking of the carb idle mixture screw. Sorry for the confusion. I have stops on the carb, so turning them more than a 3/4 turn is not possible. I'll leave them for another day.

Archived