Omni-Cruise Throttle Lock - Review

Guest Recalcitrance

Guest Recalcitrance

www.omni-cruise.com

580661_10200488146459680_482457225_n.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1Ja_0EvjNXA?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bought one today. Actually went to meet the guy who made it and machines it in his shop. Brian Carmichael. Nice kid. Spent a few minutes looking around his shop, seeing his equipment, designs, etc.

Had a few laughs and talked about the reviews I read on various forums and motorcyclist magazine.

Took one home and will give it a try this weekend.

I know there are several choices out there (Throttlemeister being at the top), but I figured this would be a nice first for me. I've never had any sort of throttle accessory but figured it was time since my wrists are starting to hurt sooner than later on long rides.

So far, the unit looks very well thought out and machined quite nicely. Details and attention to points of contact and wear have been carefully considered. Concerns about throttle blip and tension are minimal and in actuality, not really an issue since you probably shouldn't use this thing when riding twisties.

I'll give it a try tomorrow when I head down the freeway, then on a bit of a longer ride this weekend.

Details soon to follow.

Other than the machined billit lookes nice, what advantage does it have over a $15.00 NEP? Looks to be a bit awkard in use.

Looks cool. I just picked up a Go Cruise which is similar. Saw one like that for $35 or so, and a plastic one like this for $20.

I got the plastic one, and it works great. Gives that right paw a rest. Looks like that will too. :beer:

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=121945&gclid=CJi5rtet4bYCFeU5QgodIhYA8g

Guest Recalcitrance

I have no experience with the NEP so I don't know. =(

The Go Cruise is the previous plastic version of the Omni Cruise. Brian mentioned it today and had some interesting experiences with it. Basically, he said they were good but they always broke. *shrug*

It does look a bit awkward which is why I went to his shop to try it out before buying it. It's simple and comfortable. No issues. I watched the demo video several times and had a list of questions and concerns (some of which included my being a female rider with smaller hands).

After putting it on my bike and giving it a quick try, it was an easy decision.

Might meet up with Duc2V4 this Saturday for breakfast and a quick ride. Maybe swap this thing off and see how he likes it.

The Go Cruise is the previous plastic version of the Omni Cruise. Brian mentioned it today and had some interesting experiences with it. Basically, he said they were good but they always broke. *shrug*

I guess if the plastic one breaks, I'll go metal. :beer:

I like this idea better than the throttle rocker I have, you can hold the throttle open with the heel of your hand but can't let go altogether.

Prone to accidental throttle opening. :goofy:

Much better than the throttle locker circular clamp thing that fell off and was lost first ride. Useless.

Your throttle meister and such are trick it appears, but cost a lot more. :unsure:

Guest Recalcitrance

Update

Took the Omni Cruise out for a couple of test rides.

First ride - Easy sweeping canyons. I used the band that came with the lock. Didn't hold. Slipped even though I clamped the thing as tight as it would go.

Second ride - 140 miles of freeway and sweeping mountain roads. I did away with the band and it held better but still slipped after a minute or so. My guess is vibration.

The diameter for the clamp around your throttle is too big. It needs to be smaller and tighter. I suppose that's what the band is for - to add width. But The band just made it roll off.

I'm going to sand the inside of the throttle clamp to give it more friction but not so much that I can't shut off easily.

But so far, the main problem I see is that the clamp is too wide.

• Member Contributer

And try some electrical tape around the grip and then install the provided rubber doughnut, seems like that we did in the day with the old plastic ones.

But so far, the main problem I see is that the clamp is too wide.

I forget, did they have different versions for 7/8" bars vs 1"? :unsure:

Archived