Vfrness Install Help

2thdr

• Member Contributer

It's been a long time since I've had my VFRness hooked up since I left it off after replacing my stator, R/R, and battery, and going through all my connectors about 25k miles ago. I recently checked my charging voltage at the battery and it's only about 13.8V steady from idle up to 5k rpm. This is probably on the low side of acceptable, but I would like to see it in the 14V + area. Anyway, can someone tell me which is the main fuse that I am supposed to remove when intalling the VFRness? In the photo below is it the 20A fuse or the fuse under the RED boot? 6th Gen, 2004 model. Thanks!

main fuse

• Member Contributer

I think the main is a 30 amp, so probably under the red cap since the other is a 20 amp.

Here is a link to the instructions just in case you need them.

http://www.wiremybike.com/installation-instructions-2002-vfrness-instructions-p-660.html

Thanks...I have the instruction sheet...just wish it had a photo. I seem to remember putting a 20 A in there myself when I removed the VFRness, so I can't be certain it has the right fuse. I can't seem to find a photo or diagram that I can understand. I think one is the "Main fuse" and is supposed to be 30 A and the other is the "Ignition circuit fuse". Hopefully Tightwad will see this and reply...

The 30a under the boot is the main fuse.

The vfrness and the original will both require 20a fuse.

you don't have to do anything with the 30a under the red boot. The red is actually a connector. The main fuse is under the connector. Don't have to touch it.

The 20a original should be in the white holder. The vfrness basically doubles this circuit with 2 20a fuses.

Can take photo or help in anyway. Just went thru my whole system.

IIRC THe 20a in the white holder is the one you switched when you installed the vfrness. The bike came with a 30a in the white holder. The vfrness doubled the circuit. The original 30a in the white holder was removed and replaced with a 20a. The vfrness also takes a 20a. So two 20's instead of one 30.

Hope that's what your looking for.

• Member Contributer

you don't have to do anything with the 30a under the red boot.

The 20a original should be in the white holder. The vfrness basically doubles this circuit with 2 20a fuses.

IIRC THe 20a in the white holder is the one you switched when you installed the vfrness. The bike came with a 30a in the white holder. The vfrness doubled the circuit. The original 30a in the white holder was removed and replaced with a 20a. The vfrness also takes a 20a. So two 20's instead of one 30.

So I can just leave that 20A in the white holder and leave the 30A under the red boot and then put another 20A in the VFRness white holder? Why did the instructions say to remove the 30A main fuse?

• Member Contributer

Steve,

tightwad recomended that the 30 amp main fuse be changed out with a 20 amp as now you will have 2 X 20 amp fuses in the system instead of a single 30 amp fuse. I will be home this weekend if you need some help.

The original white holder had a 30a from the factory. It is replaced with a 20a.

Both the fuse under the red connector and the original 30a in the white holder are main fuses.

The vfrness will be a black holder. Also use a 20a.

Leave the 30 under the red connector.

So I can just leave that 20A in the white holder and leave the 30A under the red boot and then put another 20A in the VFRness white holder? Why did the instructions say to remove the 30A main fuse?

Yes, leave what you have.

When you were running without the vfrness you should of put the 30a back in the white holder.

• Member Contributer

The original white holder had a 30a from the factory. It is replaced with a 20a.

Both the fuse under the red connector and the original 30a in the white holder are main fuses.

When you were running without the vfrness you should of put the 30a back in the white holder.

Perfect explanation, thanks! This will help when I install mine this weekend :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Exactly what I meant to say, worded much better.

Thanks soichiro

• Member Contributer

Thank you so muy much guys...I think I will leave it stock for this weekend and do this when I get back from AR twisties!!!

Clean your connectors and contacts while your there. I just went thru the whole stator, rr, battery replacemnet. My volts were too low and I kept blowing the 2 20a fuses.

I cleaned all the connectors on the right side and at the battery.

Volts are now pefect and fuses good. Dirt had gatehered on a tiny bit of dielectric grease and made for bad contacts.

Glad I have the right answers. Thanks guys.

Tightwad is the man when it comes to electrics. He has helped me many times, good guy, good product,

Archived