Question During Carb Rebuild

Guest smittypig24

Guest smittypig24

I bought a project bike ('91 VFR) in October and I'm just now getting around to working on it. Upon trying to start it, gas started pouring out below the carbs. It started on starter fluid, so I know it's eventually going to run. So now I am cleaning the carbs. Some of the jets were clogged. But I noticed 2 hoses with bolts jammed in them. When I took the carbs off and tipped them over, gas came out of them. My manual says they are air vent hoses, but why is gas coming out? Can anyone explain them to me? And why do they have bolts in them? I'm assuming the previous owner did that for some reason.

Thanks.

post-26527-0-81918300-1367204145.jpg

post-26527-0-73289800-1367204150.jpg

Two bolts in those holes are the first red flag. Remove them.

Second fuel is coming out of them because it is coming out of the bowls, this is the way it is designed to work.

The floats needles are stuck open or not adjusted properly preventing the needles from closing when fuel is in bowl. You are flooding the motor with fuel which is why it runs on starter fluid and not on fuel.

You have to remove the floats and float needles. Clean them very very well and then reset them. It takes a little time and more patience to do this, very very small adjustments on the floats tangs makes a huge difference. The correct float height is 9.0mm

This will save me a bunch of typing. http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/floatlevel.html. While not VFR specific it covers the basics.

Make sure the engine Vee is free from fuel before you try starting the motor to be safe.

If someone stuck bolts in the carbs to stop the overflow, go through the rest of the bike. Who knows what else has been done.

Picture one is the float port (look for screw driver in upper right) x 4

Picture two is the top of the carbs showing the path of the fuel "in" from tank and the carb overflow lines.

If the floats (not in picture) are not set correctly then they will not stop the flow of fuel from entering into the bowl and get the overflow you are seeing.

post-11427-0-64861000-1367287154.jpg

post-11427-0-32601200-1367287161.jpg

Archived