Race Tech Spring Rate & Sag Question For The Gurus

Cmac

• Member Contributer

I would appreciate some advice from the suspension gurus out there.

I have 04 VFR, and had a shop install Race Tech front springs and gold compression/rebound valves a month ago, and a Penske 8983 rear shock installed last week. I decided after getting Penske 8983, I would try to set the sag on both front and rear for the first time ever (first time for both me and the bike). I have the front preload unscrewed out (not the technical term for that) one full turn from maximum, and sag front sag is 23mm to 24mm. I have read through a few threads on sag, and understand the typical is 25 to 30 for track, and 30 to 35 for street. I was going to try 30mm for me, as I enjoy aggressive street riding in the twisties. I got the rear to 30mm, but 23mm to 24mm on the front seems much lower than the recommended sag. I did not notice over the last month the front end is real stiff, and if I hit a bump in the road, it can be jarring.

I weigh in at 220 w/o gear, my shop installed 1.1kg front springs. I looked at the Race Tech site, and their calculator recommended the following: Street use: 1.019kg; Road Race use: 1.07kg, and round to the nearest spring size. I'm wondering if 1.1kg spring is too much for me, and is dangerous on the street? I did tell the mechanic I do aggressive street riding in the twisties, and plan half a dozen track days this summer, so I guess he decided to go with the track spring rate.

Spent a lot of money on this. The front just feels too stiff, but I also am no suspension guru, or even apprentice for that matter. The rear shock feels awesome! Thoughts, solutions, don't worry about advice out there on the front springs and sag?...

Thanks!

Cmac

Since you have it 1 turn out from max in, why don't you turn it to max out and see what you get? Or 1 turn in from max out? Max in will give you the stiffest ride and least amount of sag.

I would say 1.1kg springs are too stiff for 220 lbs. Probably need more like 1.0kg.

• Member Contributer

+1 Back off of the preload on the forks so you get about 30-35mm and take it for a test ride.

• Member Contributer

I think already adjusted the prelosed as you are suggesting, but sounds like I didn't word it correctly. Sorry. Let me say it this way, the preload screw is one turn from sticking all the way out. Sorry, not sure the technical term for that. :) I'm assuming I don't want to screw it in any tighter to make and already to firm of ride worse?...guess that's a questions really more than statement. I did just talk Race Tech support guy, and he said I may be one spring to heavy, but thought the real issue migh be shims (I think he called it) in the shock. I only have a couple mm of free sag.

• Member Contributer

Ahh...you are one turn in from full out. Opposite from what I thought. Yup, you have no adjustment left...spring is too stiff or perhaps there is an internal spacer that could be removed...

Agreed, the1.1's are too stiff on the front. I would run 1.0 for firm and .95's for more plush.

You could always cut a little off their fork spacers.

What rate spring did they install on the rear??? It could make a Huge difference on how the front feels!

Should be at least a 21-22 kg rear.

BR

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the feedback. The mechanic insists 1.1kg is good, but he's going to adjust the internals next week. I guess Iet him try adusting to see if he can get it where it needs to be, before I get in pissing contest with him about replacing the sprints. Frustrating for the kind of money I spent.

• Member Contributer

I just got my bike back from the shop to day, and got the mechanic to switch to spring to 1.0kg, and wow, much better. He also removed a spacer (I think that's what he called it...looked like a big ring) The front feels great now. Front sag is now 33, with the preload looks to be in the middle, with room for +/- preload adjustment.

Baileyrock, I'm not ignoring you on the rear shock rate. The rate is not visible to me, and mechanic couldn't see it either or remember...he's got a call in Penske to get the spring rate for me. I'll report back.

Are there preferred front/rear sag settings for more aggressive road riding vs. track day riding?

Thanks again for all you feedback! What a great forum!

• Member Contributer

The reason he was asking for the rear spring rate is that it will greatly affect the front if not balanced for your weight. You could spend thousands on the front, but without the rear being balanced with what you have done on the front, it will never be right...Glad you are going in the right direction however!

• Member Contributer

Dusting this thread off, since I finally got the rear spring rate from the shop.

The rear is a new Penske 8983 6x1200. I weight 220 without gear. The front is Race Tech newly replaced 1.0kg front springs and valves. After changing the front springs from the 1.1kg to 1.0kg, the front sag is now 33mm, and feels much better. Rear sag is at 28mm, but looks like I have plenty of room to adjust, and plan on it...just been busy coaching kids this week, and no time to tinker with my bike.

I have my second track day on Monday, and this will be the first track day with this new suspension.

Is there a preferrerd front and back sag setting for the VFR on the track? What about preferred agressive street ride sag setting? Thoughts on running tire pressure at 32f/32r cold?

Stats are as follows:

04 VFR

Weight 220 without gear

Penske 8983 rear shock 6x1200

Front Race Tech 1.0kg springs & valves

Raised the rear +5 from stock

Lowered the front -5 from stock

Michelin Power Pilot 3 (32f/32R?)

THANKS!!

Alright, thanks for the update!

The rear is a little soft for 220 IMO as that's the rate I run at 190 lbs.

What is your Free Sag front and rear??? Free sag is how much the bike sags w/o you on the bike from Full Extension, it helps determine proper spring rates.

BTW all your specs sound good for starting point for your track day!

BR

• Member Contributer

Current free sag:

Front = 22mm

Rear = 4mm

Before I had the 1.1kg spring swapped out for a 1.0kg, my free sag was:

Front = 11mm

Rear = 8mm

Note that when the front springs were replace from 1.1kg to 1.0kg, the rear free sag dropped from 8mm to 4mm. Does that make sense? I measured each measurement a couple times, so I'm pretty confident in accurate measurements.

Thanks.

Front spring change shouldn't really effect rear sag, but stiffer front would tend to transfer more weight to the rear and vise versa, But that is opposite of what you show???

I think your alright, but 4mm free on the rear would indicate a slightly Soft rear spring( more pre-load needed to achieve rider sag).

I would venture to say a 1300 lb rear spring or higher would be an improvement.

BTW if your bike was stock the last track day this will be a HUGE improvement over last time, Have a blast!

BR

Archived