Click! Then Nothing..

Crewwolfy

I'm guessing this means the connection between the battery and the connectors is bad.

There may be a difference between American terminology and European as there is a difference between European and UK terminology. There is even a difference between Scottish and English terminology. Hehe

My bikes have the battery with terminals and connections to the battery terminals are done with ring crimp connections a bolt and nut.

This is true even for my quick connection for charging (battery end is ring crimps) and fly lead end is a molex block connect.

You mentioned pinching the prongs of the multi-meter between the terminals and connectors.

and

Pinch the prongs again, fires up no problem.

Are your battery terminals more like a car (round posts and clamp connectors) ?

The normal battery terminal I have would be like an n with a hole through the top which you use a nut and bolt to secure the ring crimps.

The main thing is to ensure a good tight connection.

If you can post an image of your connections to the battery, we can tell you easily.

If it is a molex block which has a male and female connection, the female (socket) gap can open so that the when the male is inserted it is not a tight fit.

It is this gap that would need to be closed slightly.

If it is ring crimp nut and bolt and these are not tightening up enough then change the nut and bolt or use a washer to help take up the gap.

If it is more like the car battery clamps and there is no gap at the bolt point and they are still not tight on the terminals maybe due to wear of the posts then use (I think you may call it a shim) small piece of cable to aid in taking up the gap or change terminal clamps or new battery.

Ah, ok. Wasn't sure we were talking about the same connectors. :) No, it's the nut & bolt style. And the connection is plenty tight when it isn't starting. I'll start with the cleaning, then look into the screwdriver approach.

Thanks.

A guy I know had a problem with his bike not firing. Finally found a plastic connector with 3 or 4 wires was loose.

Wasn't a VFR, but you might have a similar issue. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Or they are a bit corroded and as such need cleaning.

Happens a lot with old bikes.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk

UPDATE!

Cleaned the connectors & terminals up something fierce, and the little guy doesn't want to stop starting! :) Much thanks to Bassie, Wolfen and everyone else that weighed in. I was concerned when the worries focused on the actual starter, but from my experience, always start with the little, easy things and work your way up the complexity flowchart.

Thanks again!

UPDATE!

Cleaned the connectors & terminals up something fierce, and the little guy doesn't want to stop starting! :) Much thanks to Bassie, Wolfen and everyone else that weighed in. I was concerned when the worries focused on the actual starter, but from my experience, always start with the little, easy things and work your way up the complexity flowch

disconnect at the battery cables ill bet money, or i had a similar issue when i had corrosion at the 3-pin connector from the stator to r/r

So i was right all along ;)

Archived