Easy Way To Remove Wheels? It Is Tire Time

budguy207

I took my rear wheel off for the first time about a month ago and it was quite the chore since the factory must have used the wrong torque gun, I swear that thing was on with over 200lbs. I had to sit on the bike while my neighbor used a cheater bar to break the nuts loose. 70lbs they were NOT.

FYI, with the VFR on center stand, I couldn't use a front stand to raise the front wheel. The rear tire will hit the ground and threaten to push the bike off the center stand.

I ended up having to remove the rear wheel first, then raise the front end with a PitBull stand.

replying to an old post....first time reading this thread though...

Put a little square or two of plywood under the centerstand - gets the rear tire in the air enough to use your front stand at the same time.

FYI, with the VFR on center stand, I couldn't use a front stand to raise the front wheel. The rear tire will hit the ground and threaten to push the bike off the center stand.

I ended up having to remove the rear wheel first, then raise the front end with a PitBull stand.

replying to an old post....first time reading this thread though...

Put a little square or two of plywood under the centerstand - gets the rear tire in the air enough to use your front stand at the same time.

Yes, I did something similar with my 1" lowered Sprint ST to help get it on its centerstand.

With the VFR that time, I was swapping out tires on both wheels, so I had to remove the rear wheel anyway. I've since bought a steering column adapter for my Pitbull front stand.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have the measurements for the pit bull rear stand that goes into the holes for the centre stand please, I would like to build one, thanks

This is pretty much how I do it. Apologies for the quality, just took a quick pic when I did the stainless bolts thingy.

Bike lift made in Taiwan. Bought at Datona.nl, think Harbor Freight but wider and hydraulic/pneumatic and with a 1-year warranty and excellent service. The bike's solid enough to use that jack stand underneath the exhaust. Did it like that on my previous bike (Futura) and never had any issues. For extra safety, I use a few straps to hold the back more stable and tight.

I have an OE center stand. Nothing else.

Oh and I use air tools.

A lot.

And torque wrenches of course.

post-28387-0-12719600-1384168107.jpg

This is pretty much how I do it. Apologies for the quality, just took a quick pic when I did the stainless bolts thingy.

Bike lift made in Taiwan. Bought at Datona.nl, think Harbor Freight but wider and hydraulic/pneumatic and with a 1-year warranty and excellent service. The bike's solid enough to use that jack stand underneath the exhaust. Did it like that on my previous bike (Futura) and never had any issues. For extra safety, I use a few straps to hold the back more stable and tight.

I have an OE center stand. Nothing else.

Oh and I use air tools.

A lot.

And torque wrenches of course.

attachicon.gifhonda_on_lift.jpg

That's cool!

1. There is a town in the NL called Daytona? Sorry, Datona...

2. The safety straps adds a lot to the safety factor. I use two strap too, but I hang them off eyelets screwed into ceiling joists. I honestly do not trust any centerstand - by itself - when I am working on the bike. With the VFR1200, I have no other choice for the rear end, since I already have the centerstand installed. On other bikes, I would use a rear stand instead, even if the bike has a CS.

3. +1 each for air tools and torque wrenches.

1. I don't know of an actual town called Datona, I think it's just an acronym for some words. That lift was over one year old when the hydraulic pump failed last summer. But their service is so good I could send the heavy thing back if I wanted to. But that would cost me an arm and a leg (delivery was free) and instead they just sent me the same hydraulics from their warehouse. Their new models have separate pumps, this one is integrated. I already improved the pump design on several points (amazing how poorly it was put together) and when I got the new one, I did the same improvements. So it feels really professional now at a Harbor Freight price.

I got my mobile tool cart from them too. You just can't build a mobile cart with lockable drawers at those prices. Great company, great service.

2. My garage ceiling will hold a bicycle and light fixtures but nothing heavier. In that pic I used the straps so I could work on the front wheel, replacing the bolts, safely. I generally don't need to use the straps. And that jack is pre-China so 25 years old and never failed me.

You can't have too many good air tools! An American buddy informs me that my air compressor is one powerful MF, the best I could find at the time running on 220V. The really heavy stuff requires 380V. Electricity distribution is way different from the USA. We have no 110VAC here.

3. A bit off-topic I know but it is an easy way to remove the wheels. And it demonstrates how easy the OE center stand really operates, even on a bike lift's surface.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Thread resurrection...

With the VFR Pitbull rear stand (that goes through the OEM center stand mounts), can you use a steering stem front stand at the same time to lift the bike?

I saw Volfy had issues with the OEM center stand when using his front steering stem stand...

Looking for clarification before I buy the pitbull rear.

Thanks,

- Dan

• Member Contributer

Can you get these your side of the pond? Bought one not long ago, superb bit of kit.

http://abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?item=superbike-stand&pid=1

or this

http://abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?item=front-lift-arm&pid=42

am sure anybody with welding skills could make their own.

• Member Contributer

Thread resurrection...

With the VFR Pitbull rear stand (that goes through the OEM center stand mounts), can you use a steering stem front stand at the same time to lift the bike?

I saw Volfy had issues with the OEM center stand when using his front steering stem stand...

Looking for clarification before I buy the pitbull rear.

Thanks,

- Dan

Yes. This is why I went with the Pitbull rear instead of the OEM centerstand.

D2B15B30-230D-4AD6-B8CA-9DBEF03A5DE3_zps

Truth be told, the "issue" with the center stand is not much of one. I just wanted everybody to know what to expect if you are trying to get both wheels off the ground. As was mentioned above there are easy ways to get around it. Putting some plywood or MDF boards under the centerstand is one way to get more clearance under the rear wheel. Personally, having a centerstand on the bike 100% of the time is far more important than a little inconvenience once in a long while.

Whatever you do, make sure stability ans safety come first. Use additional straps or whatever to make sure the bike is not going to topple over while you work on it.

i still think Honda shouldve engineered a way to use a read stand, even with a centerstand installed. BMW does their shafties that way. It ain't difficult. But i rant.

• 5 months later...

5k on orig tires and getting ready for a 9 day trip, so time for new tires. I have read several of the tire changing threads, but just wanted to verify 2 things:

1) I am using my center stand and a pit bull fork lift.

VFRtireReplace-2.jpg

Is this pit bull on the front fork correctly?

VFRtireReplace-1.jpg

2) the end of the front axle shaft that does not have the bolt has a hex cut out. My old BMW RT required this special hex piece. Will I need something like that to hold that end when I tighten the front axle?

thanks

Archived