Nasty Stone Chips On '84R

CBVFRbikeboy

• Member Contributer

Well, I've been putting it off for a while, but the myriad of stone chips on the lower fairing have finally got to me. I took the tail light surrond in to my paint guy to have the red and white colour-matched in preparation for the re-spray. Turns out as I was sanding away that this job has been done before by someone. There was a layer of grey primer under the top coat. Anyway, got stuck into it today, and managed to shoot some white primer surfacer on in, then go over the chips with some spot-putty. Then I shot another coat of primer, and prepared the masking to blend the top coat back.

underFairing.jpg

spotted.jpg

masked.jpg

While I have the "Fighting Red" as well, I'm not inclined to repaint the red as it's in good condition. I might just touch up the edges where they've chipped a bit. The front mudguard has a nasty scratch on it, so I'll repaint that at some point as well.

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer

Wow, looking nice!

Thoughts about doing some kind of rubberized protective coating?

Well no, I hadn't really, but perhaps it might be OK on the lower 'inside' section that cops all the crap from the front tyre? I think it would be too thick to do much more than that with it, and difficult to blend into the rest of the fairing. I like your thinking :wink:

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer

I'd toyed with the idea on some of the parts lower to the ground. Frankly, Plasti-dip might be the way to go, just re-spray it about every 6 months.

I fooled with it on some parts a few months ago, it's like a peel-coat. Could save you some pain down the road, and it's offered in MANY colors.

gallery_23869_6426_1837809.jpg

gallery_23869_6426_651777.jpg

gallery_23869_6426_979004.jpg

Peels right off, no residue or any other bad effects I can find. Fairing would be ideal as it doesn't get too hot....

Just throwing out the thought. :)

• Member Contributer

Interesting. I don't know if we can get that down here? If it peels off easily and cleanly, it might indeed be worth a try. I'll have to do some googling for a local equivalent.

cheers

ian

I am in the process of "dipping" my whole bike.

So far, I have been very pleased with the product. If you spray it on that lower fairing and do manage to chip it down the road, there is no complicated prep work you can just mask a little and shoot another layer of dip on your damaged spot.

-Drew

I'd toyed with the idea on some of the parts lower to the ground. Frankly, Plasti-dip might be the way to go, just re-spray it about every 6 months.

I have been wanting to do the plasti-dip as well. The first picture or the piece you dipped - is that the fresh wet coat? I only ask because it has a bad orange peel look to it, but your next pic looks pretty smooth. Does it self level fairly well?

• Member Contributer

I have been wanting to do the plasti-dip as well. The first picture or the piece you dipped - is that the fresh wet coat? I only ask because it has a bad orange peel look to it, but your next pic looks pretty smooth. Does it self level fairly well?

Yes, it smooths over as it dries.

• Member Contributer

Well, I thought what the hell, if I've gone this far I might as well paint the inside as too :wink:

insideFairing.jpg

And there we have it. Fitted back on. I'm happy with that

fairingDone.jpg

Now on to that front fender.

Archived