Vf1000F: Suspender Update

Ascalon

I know where there is a VF100F for small money that was roadworthy a short while ago.

I would very much like to do an update on it to make it a day to day bike. This would entail a suspender, brake and wheel update.

Having seen the work done here using the VTR/RC51 and FZR-EXUP, it got me thinking.

Would the Varadero XL1000V be a better donor bike?

The forks may be long enough, though would need a respring and revalve to suit. Also, the wheel base would be closer to the original, and so the swing arm might be a better fit also. Actually the XL has a wheel base of 1560mm compared to 1000F's 1498, so that could be workable.

The familial lineage might mean that things like the steering stem and so forth are an easier transfer too.

The 1000F is never going to be sports bike nimble, so the long travel suspension of the 1000V might be just the ticket after a bit of reworking. Plus, the look of the right way up forks and the unbraced alloy swinger would be fairly in keeping with the original.

Has anyone any experience of this?

Any thoughts, contributions, accusations, recriminations, wild rants?

Cheers,

A

• Member Contributer

When someone tries to fit a SSSA to a bike like the Firestorm/Superhawk VTR1000F, it's easier to adapt a VFR800 swingarm, because they are both designed for the swingarm to pivot directly off of the engine case.

This leads me to ask: Where does the swingarm of the Varadero XL1000V pivot? Does it pivot in the frame (like the various models of VFR750)? Or does it pivot off of the engine case (like the Firestorm/Superhawk VTR1000F, or like the VFR800s)? Or does it pivot in both (like the CBR600F4/FX, or like the VTR1000R/SP1/SP2)?

We never had the Varadero XL1000V for sale in the US, so I cannot confirm this.

However, I feel fairly confident that the VF1000F (of the early 1980s) would have had the swingarm pivot only in the frame.

That may be one factor to consider as you plan this out.

Good luck!

Ron

• Member Contributer

I believe the varadero is actually a reclothed and modified vtr1000 if you can believe it. The engine is the same design and I believe the swingarm pivots through the engine cases. It even looks like the vtr1000 swing arm on the varadero. Also... it appears as thought he forks on the varadero are 43mm... not sure if that is good or bad.

found this on another forum: "In fact the whole bike is made out of VTR parts...

The swingarm is identical, brakes was the same until 07 (06?) when they updated them and added optional ABS. the headers up until the bolt to the "slip-on" is identical...

Basicly another frame, bodywork and higher fork/rear shock, Fi and a larger tank and you got it..."

• Member Contributer

It could work, but the front end would not be a bolt-in. The steering stem is too short. For everyday riding springs and emulators in the stock VF1000F forks are pretty hard to beat. Plus the price would be less than what you would pay for the Varadero parts.

• 4 weeks later...

It could work, but the front end would not be a bolt-in. The steering stem is too short. For everyday riding springs and emulators in the stock VF1000F forks are pretty hard to beat. Plus the price would be less than what you would pay for the Varadero parts.

Sorry chaps, been away for a while.

Cheers for that Jamie, but what do you mean by "riding springs and emulators"? As in progressive springs and cartridge inserts or something?

So, what would be the best thing to do to get modern rubber and brakes on a VF1000F? I'd like to stay with Honda bits if possible.

A

• Member Contributer

A couple of folks, myself included, have swapped the RC51 front end on to a 1KR, and if I remember correctly, the frame and triples are the same between the F and R, so the same swap should be doable on the F. The RC forks are much shorter and offset far less, but it can bolt right up with a steering stem swap from the F to the RC '00-'01 lower triple. There may be better donor bikes where you could swap steering stems, or use the RC triples and other forks with some custom wheel spacers and caliper mount spacers. It's all just time and money.

• Member Contributer

Ascalon you asked a very good question - if you want modern rubber AND brakes a front end swap is will get you both. The F and R are heavy bikes, and to me the brakes were a problem. The FZR swap I did and the RC swap gets you a vastly improved braking performance, but the trade off is poor turning radius unless you make custom triples like Kel has...

Best of luck on either way, these old girls are worth it!

Sorry chaps, been away for a while.

Cheers for that Jamie, but what do you mean by "riding springs and emulators"? As in progressive springs and cartridge inserts or something?

So, what would be the best thing to do to get modern rubber and brakes on a VF1000F? I'd like to stay with Honda bits if possible.

A

Archived