6Th Gen: Stock Exhaust Modification Poll

Audigier

Should I drill the stock exhausts??  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should i do it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Get an aftermarket system
  2. 2. how louder do you think your modified exhaust is compared to what it was before messing with it???

• 25%
    • 50%
    • 75%
    • 100%

Hello everyone.

my first bike was a 150cc starter bike, i modified the exhaust but it was way too loud and the sound of a single piston was too ugly just to like it that i decided to get an stock replacement.

then i moved to my goldwing that has stock exhausts, its pretty much as quiet as the vfr.

sometimes i feel like the bike looks just great but when i fire it up, something is missing. i know there is no turning back if i drill the exhausts using the method posted on this forum here:

Make It Growl For $20 http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/23155-make-it-growl-for-20/

I dont like to ride behind loud bikes, v-twins or sport bikes but i know the rider does not get all the sound because the exhausts is on its back.

i dont want to get annoyed or end up having to use ear plugs on long trips because of the exust, i would really like to make my bike sound a little bit "meaner" so i am adding a poll for those who have done it

how loud will it get after drilling the exaust?

Also, for those who have experimented with this method, the guide i mentioned before, says to drill on the 4 holes on the exhausts, 2 for each can. What if i only drill one on each side?, would it make any differente betwen tops and bottom holes??

Thanks in advance and please post all the feedback you can give me.

• Member Contributer

I guess the question is - what do you want? Everybody has different tastes. I run a carbon exhaust that is admittedy loud. No debate. On the one hand, I like it - alot. On the other hand, I am conserned about offending my neighbors. On the someday column, I am going to tone it down, but I'm not that motivated yet.

btw - you should consider riding with earplugs anyhoo. It drops the wind noise and reduces fatigue and enhances concentration.

i ride in town and highway 50/50... i just want the bike to sound a little bit meaner, to get that feeling when you pull the throttle, feel the power and hear the engine roaring, i also love the way the stock exhausts look vs carbon exhausts.

i just dont want to mess the exhaust turning them way too loud to be annoying for ME while riding long distances as i said i dont want to get headaches or get to wear earplugs.

I did the exhaust mod using a hole saw & dremel cut off wheels. I didn't do the drill cause I couldn't find an extension that would fit through the bent pipe. My way cost $10 3-4 hrs & is absolutely incredible for the price! Didn't even take the exhaust off! You definatly hear the exhaust but once you get around 55mph it slowly goes away unless your twisting it. I you live close to south jersey I could let you hear it?

Guest Recalcitrance

I drilled 5 holes into the end plates and it sounds pretty good to me. *shrug* Messing with the exhaust too much was never something I enjoyed doing (cars or bikes). The VFR has a distinctive (and great) V4 sound and I want to keep that character of the bike. :rolleyes:

If I want a loud exhaust, I'll buy a GSXR. :tongue:

can you guys post pictures of what you've done? if you could record a short video and post it on youtube it would be great!

grayv3, thanks for the offer but i am living in Mexico, way too far.

buying a stock replacement its out of my mind as i have a short budget

My buddy did the exhaust mod on his 2007. I have ridden next to him and ridden on his bike compared to my full stock exhaust. I liked it. It was a bit louder but not annoying. I will do mine at some point. He said gas mileage suffered slightly though.

• Member Contributer

A fellow VFR rider here in Edmonton had followed the instruction's here: http://www.vfrdiscus...th-gen-exhaust/

He only did one side to guage the noise level and then left it at that. He then bought a Staintune exh system and sold me the mod exh for $75.00. The bike has has a nice grumble to it and is not to loud. I think it sounds nicer than gutting both sides ( I have had my bike beside another fully gutted exh).

• Member Contributer

I did an exhaust mod two days after I got my 07. I was a bit more ambitious with my mod. Rather than trying to drill or saw the baffle tubes out through the end cap holes, I cut the cans open at the end cap weld seam, completely pulled the baffle tubes out (they are only tack welded in place) while leaving the packing and baffle walls in place and re-welded the end caps back on. You can't tell anything was done to the cans once the heat shields are back in place. The sound is definately more mellow at idle but is not attention grabbing in any way. The Two Brothers exhaust on my 5th gen is much louder.

• 1 month later...

I bought my '04 with gutted cans so for some time I didn't have a comparison. After meeting my neighbor down the street with a bone stock '06 and hearing his bike, I'm now looking for a stock system to install on my bike.

The V4 has a very unique sound, some love it, some hate it.

If someone comes along and wants my pipes I'll trade for a stock system on the spot.

Maybe I'm getting old....

• Member Contributer

gswanson's sounds good from someone who has ridden quite a few miles behind/next to him...

Archived