83 Vf 750

Guest whittaker

Guest whittaker

G'day everyone i was just given a 83 vf 750 with 14k km's on the speedo the poor old girl has been left in the weather and the cruelty of not being started or ridden, i'm only a young bloke with an oppurtunity to restore a classic to a nice condition.

i've just stripped her down to balls and brass percei but i was wondering if you guys have any knowledge of whether or not this bike has parts that are interchangeable with any other bikes of the time, i am trying to find a good place to get parts for the old girl as well i need to get a new exhaust for starters the ones on it have been left out in the weather (rusted) but the frame only has specks of surface rust so i'm quite confident that me in my limited knowledge would be able to fix her up.

if anyone has any tips on working with this bike, where to find parts and just general hey you need to do this to make this better i would appreciate it, greatly thanks in advance guys im really keen on getting this bike running so i have something nice to ride for my full license if anyone would be interested in photos let me know and ill take some in the morning for you fine people.

I've been working on a 83 VF750F for about 2 years now. Repairing, getting OEM parts back on it, and still trying to ride it frequently. Feel free to ask any questions that come to mind. I might not have the answer but I may have run across it during my quasi restoration. I love the bike!

Parts that are directly swappable are 1983, 1984, 1985 VF750

Some bits from other Hondas can be made to fit, but if you are looking for direct replacement parts, those three years are it I'm afraid.

1982 that bike didn't exist. 1986, the aluminum framed VFR750 was born, a clean sheet design.

Better off to list the parts you need rather than asking what parts interchange.

Lots of part interchange, but it's mostly just small bits.

Exhaust is a challange if you are looking to restore one. Old stuff is usually in the condition your current parts are and striking an NOS one is like finding a 4 pound gold nugget in your back yard (IE: rare).

Aftermarket exhausts are also hard to find new. They pop up on ebay form time to time in used condition. I think MAC still offers a 4 into 1, but they're almost universally accepted as crap.

There is one company that makes replica senkei OEM style mufflers, but the name escapes me at the time. I think it was an italian company, but don't quote me on that one.

I have ordered a replacement OEM muffler as late as 5-7 years ago (memory is foggy), but Honda has since discontinued them and depleted all thier old stock. If you're REALLY lucky, you may find a dealer with 1 or 2 collecting dust on the shelves but you're right back up there with finding a 4 pound gold nugget.....

If your collector box is rotted out, you're in big trouble. Honda discontinued them looooong ago. Compounding the problem is that you need an 83-85 VF750F/VF700F collector box. Nothing else will fit. If yours is salvagable, I'd pull it off and have it repaired. Mig or Tig welding will get it done. if it's "salvagable" that is. Most aren't as its the pipes that usually rust and crack off as opposed to the collector box istself. However, even that is repairable if you find the right welding shop. Not going to be cheap though, it's "one off" work and that usually costs considerable bucks....

Unfortunately, most big bits will need to be sourced off places like ebay from areas like arizona (lots of sun, not much rust) and then restored to get your restoration quality build parts.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to discourage you, but a proper restoration is pretty difficult to do on these old girls mainly because they're so old and never seemed to reach "cult status" like hte suziki Katana or similar models. Hense, no aftermarket parts. One of the problems with modern mass produced stuff, use it and throw it away when you're done.....

I love the old VF's (got one myself: http://www.vfrdiscus...ding-evolution/) but have chosen to go the upgrade route rather than the strict resto path. Just about everything is replaceable/upgradable except the engine bits. From what I've heard lately, the main bearings are no longer available and that's the biggest stopper in the bunch.

Good luck with your project.

• Member Contributer

step 1

down load a manual

step 2

buy some vasoline /petroleum jelly..NOW!!!

find all the plastic parts like the control switch housings and speedo case, windsheild etc etc and slather them.

it takes a few days. but the jelly will seep and and help restore the bits to an almost new finish. :fing02:

step 3

buy some lube and tools and more tools if you need them.

step 4..

a very very important step..F%@# what every one else thinks!!!!

its your bike mate. make what makes YOU happy.. the pipes are shot and you like D&D from a ninja? go for it!

you love neon pink and stickers from "the cure" ? then have at it!

have fun with your build!! :bliss:

Archived