Do I Need A New Brake Rotor?

EarthTones

• Member Contributer

Hi all -

I'd been noticing this pulsing in the front brakes for a year or so that came on more and more. I finally got a dial indicator and found my right rotor was bent. I followed the VFRD tech instructions and straightened them out, and replaced the worn pads, and changed fluid.

It's not as bad, but it's still pulsing. The rotor is uneven in thickness as you go around. Is this the problem? Is there another remedy to this besides shelling out the bucks for a new rotor?

I appreciate your advice - Roy

• Forum CEO

I would give it another round of straitening then if that doesnt do it, then you can probably source something salvaged or get ebc brand rotors, OEM can get expensive. Kaladek was parting out his vtec in the classifieds maybe he still has his? They are the same rotors.

Are you sure the pads aren't dragging even when not applying the brakes? The rotor can get mighty hot that way. Warp-o-la.

• 2 months later...

EBC makes a great OEM replacement if you have to go that route. I'd avoid "used" rotors unless your sure what the story is with them. Brakes are just one of those things......worth the money.

• Member Contributer
Are you sure the pads aren't dragging even when not applying the brakes? The rotor can get mighty hot that way. Warp-o-la.

That's what happened to mine. Trashed in one ride by sticky calipers.

EBC makes a great OEM replacement if you have to go that route. I'd avoid "used" rotors unless your sure what the story is with them. Brakes are just one of those things......worth the money.

+1 I have a set on mine, and no complaints. I would have no problem with a used set if the seller gives me thickness, and runout measurements. Good used rotors aren't common though. Bad ones are.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Thanks for the tip on EBC brand. Probably the way I'll go. The calipers seem to be fine (wheels spins smoothly, but I can hear the spot where it drags). Hope for the best.

• Member Contributer

If the rotor thickness is variable, then you will always get pulsing. If the thinest thickness is NOT less than the minimum permitted (it should be stamped on the disc) then you can get it skimmed to the current thinest bit & that should cure it.

I thought I read in other threads that bike rotors should not be machined. Not true?

Motorcycle rotors are thin. There isn't much material to begin with. I am no expert, but I have also read in mags that they shouldn't be machined.

• Member Contributer

I thought I read in other threads that bike rotors should not be machined. Not true?

Motorcycle rotors are thin. There isn't much material to begin with. I am no expert, but I have also read in mags that they shouldn't be machined.

This, and the fact that most bike rotors are semi or full floating. Hard to machine something that moves, and by the time you remove the rotor from the hat, machine it, and reinstall you're probably close to the price of a fresh set of EBCs.

Archived